Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appelby Horse Fair
6 June 2013, 18:13, (This post was last modified: 6 June 2013, 18:49 by bigpaul.)
Appelby Horse Fair
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ition.html

if this is your sort of fair, there is also PRIDDY sheep fair(horses as well) that's in Somerset, I think this year its on the 21st August(or the nearest Wednesday to that) but the date hasn't been confirmed yet.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 June 2013, 20:24,
RE: Appelby Horse Fair
Appleby is THE summer social event for the Traveller community. I,m at a services on the M74 en route home. Surrounded by Travellers on their way to Appleby.

They're in seriously good shape. Well fed, ruddy complexions. Fit, as in "farmer fit", as opposed to "body building fit" or "military fit". Obviously used to spending a lot of time outdoors and physical work.

Suspect they,ll do rather well post-SHTF.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
6 June 2013, 22:19,
Few gypsy mates who I have helped get their horses ready in the past but I have never 'been'. If I was going I would be wanting to be going with a veteran of the thing.

I was around it last year, and unless you go, you would just not believe how to surrounding countryside is taken over. For around 15 - 20 miles out side of Appleby, if there is a road, or a track, or bridleway or greenlane, you will find a caravan on it being drawn by a transit or L200. The number of transits you see it unbelievable.

I do like travelling through Kirkyby Steven in the spring/summer/autumn, lots of wild parrots there you pap your pants the fist time you see them, think you are hallucinating.
6 June 2013, 22:31,
Not been myself yet, got invited when I was doing demolition but other work comitment ment I couldnt go Sad

Bdg you dont beleive the hype about the parrots till you see them
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
6 June 2013, 22:37,
Look North tonight has just been reporting on the ciminal damage the travvellers commit, and how they leave bags of human faeces all over the place.

7 June 2013, 09:54,
i knew you'd say that as soon as I posted the thread, that's Irish Tinkers...the tarmacking crews...who do all that.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 June 2013, 09:48,
(7 June 2013, 09:54)bigpaul Wrote: i knew you'd say that as soon as I posted the thread, that's Irish Tinkers...the tarmacking crews...who do all that.

Aye real travellers hate 'Pikies'.
10 June 2013, 09:59,
We used to get this lovely family of English gypsy travellors visit our area twice a year, they were wonderful people, polite, hard working, they would even offer to pay for water from your garden tap. Always used to get some knives and screw drivers reprofiled by their dad. Always got a fair days work out of em and they often had some good home made doofahs for sale.

Nowt like the current crop who come though here filling laybys with fly tipped rubbish, stealing anything made of metal, tresspassing, racing horses through the village. a clear security threat after TSHTF.

10 June 2013, 10:09,
I don't mind the "trotting" or horse racing so much,one can stand back and learn a lot just by listening and watching and keeping gob shut!Tongue but I agree about the fly tipping and the metal theft, as far as I am concerned EVERYONE is a threat post shtf(trust no one).
10 June 2013, 10:45,
Real Gypsys used to visit our village a few times a year, and they were always sound people who never wanted anything but fair exchange for goods and services. The Women used to bring handmade Hazel clothes pegs, and lovely Wicker baskets to your door. The men were simply good grafters, and I'll tell you this about Gypo's, their word means a lot. Fair enough the local game population took a hit but they didn't take the piss like a lot of these out of town Dog coursing gangs and annihilate the local game. As for the lot that call themselves Gypsys I wouldn't give them the steam off a turd.