Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wind turbine
16 July 2013, 22:12,
RE: Wind turbine
Its not just LOUDNESS to consider mon ami, its wether its high pitched " fast" noise or the less intrusive Low pitched "slow" noise, I small highspeed turbines higher pitched noise can sound very annoying like a lawnmower, but some models with larger blades and different gearboxes sound more like the wind blowing or sea waves rolling onto the shore, ie not as intrusive. His info is reasonable for one specific reason that I will guess at not having visited your home HL. But in a windy hilly area like yours the background noise from the wind and breeeze rusting though the heather and trees will make about 35 DB anyway. The last wind noise tests I did on a WF were in north northumberland and even without a WF the wind itself blowing through the area generated 35 DB.

16 July 2013, 22:53, (This post was last modified: 16 July 2013, 23:19 by Highlander.)
Thanks NR,.... is there anyway before we buy to know which pitch will give the `high pitch`

(16 July 2013, 22:53)Highlander Wrote: Thanks NR,.... is there anyway before we buy to know which pitch will give the `high pitch` or the `low pitch`

How close to the house could you have the turbine and not hear it, we have two prime sites the best is within a few meters of the house, but would catch the best wind

I realise these might probably daft unanswerable questions

This is the turbine in question... [ or simular ]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUTURENERGY-1K...4142671%26

I have just been reading up a bit, and it seems that between 60bd - 70bd is normal conversation levels,..and that 50bd is about twice as loud as a whisper

According to the figures given to me the turbine is between 35bd and 54bd at 12mph - 16mph standing 5 meters behind the turbine

am I understanding this right?
A major part of survival is invisibility.
16 July 2013, 23:51,
Don't know how much this might help HL, given NR's comment on the difference the pitch makes but you could take a look anyway. It's a noise comparison chart...

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

17 July 2013, 07:59,
Thank you GG, that is another chart that puts the highest level given to us [ 54bd ] as less than normal conversation levels
A major part of survival is invisibility.
17 July 2013, 08:45,
i deal a little with noise at work, i am by no means an expert though

LAeq is basically stating its an estimated average or "estimated continuous level"

you can use this chart below for guestimates of what a noise level sounds like

http://airportnoiselaw.org/dblevels.html
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
17 July 2013, 08:50,
HL I have seen very similar if not identical units mounted on the end of a row of timber stables and you hardly noticed it, certainly not even enough to startle the horses, about the only way that thing could develop noise that would attract your attention is if you had the wind direction changing instantly and frequently IE the nacelle spining in its vertical axis in gusty wind. If you have a paddock of uncut meadow grass or grain growing near by the noise from the grass rustling in the breeze will be much louder.

Your local council environmental protection officer will have a sound measuring device that you can use in your garden to measure the ambient background noise and compare it with the turbines.