Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wind turbine
7 June 2013, 16:20,
RE: Wind turbine
Anything above 7 meters PS is supposed to be acceptable IIRC ??

7 June 2013, 20:33,
(7 June 2013, 10:40)Scythe13 Wrote:
(6 June 2013, 23:07)Highlander Wrote: the problem here is that we are linked to the grid, so when there is a power cut we stop producing also

That's not entirely true is it? You stop getting the tariff, but the panels don't stop producing electricity.

Do you have a change over switch, that allows you to swap from national grid, over to charging batteries? If not, I'd look into getting one (just for storage, at the moment) and look at how easy it would be to connect one in your circuitry.

As for the turbine, wish I could be more use. The wife and I are looking at converting her turbo-trainer into a power system (can alternator, plus a small battery...because alternators need some electricity to get started. Could always use a gyro, but that would be extra complications!).

The devil's in the detail. Most grid-tie inverters require an input voltage of at least 48V, so grid-tie systems use either higher voltage panels, or string them together in series to give at least 48V. You could, of course, arrange your 12V batteries in series to accept charge from a 48V panel, but you'd then need a 48V / 240V inverter to use the power, and these are not easy to find (in my experience). That leaves you with the task of re-configuring the panels to output at 12V (or maybe 24V) to feed a more readily available inverter.

The plan for my DIY system has 12V panels arranged in 48V strings, feeding a grid-tie inverter. Separately we will have a bank of 12V batteries, trickle-charged from the mains, with a normal 12V/240V inverter and charge-controller on standby.

In BAU: Solar panels provide elec. that we can use. Excess goes to the grid.

In a short-term power cut, we connect the inverter to the (always charged) battery bank to run essentials such as lights and freezer.

In the event of a long-term power-outage, I'll re-wire the panels and have these charge the battery bank rather than feeding the grid-tie inverter.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
7 June 2013, 20:47,
Looking at a ram type system , with tank assist set up , sounds as if I know lots , I assure you I do not though
7 June 2013, 22:14, (This post was last modified: 7 June 2013, 22:27 by Highlander.)
(7 June 2013, 00:20)Tarrel Wrote: The wind speed calculator that I linked to gives three average speeds for your grid square; 10m, 25m and 45m above ground level.

We get a reading of 7.9 at 45m above ground,..... 7.5 at 25m above ground,....and 6.8 at 10 m above ground,..all good readings as anything above 5.0 is good,....and to be honest I bet we could get slightly higher readings than that because the wind is slightly funneled here

.... but to be sure, I will hire the proper gear from the council

(7 June 2013, 20:33)Tarrel Wrote: In a short-term power cut, we connect the inverter to the (always charged) battery bank to run essentials such as lights and freezer.

In the event of a long-term power-outage, I'll re-wire the panels and have these charge the battery bank rather than feeding the grid-tie inverter.

If its not too complicated [ for me ], I would be interested in just how you wire for this

I looked at Mr Piggotts location, and he is not easy to get to, being completely off the road system,..I did look at his site, and he seems to be working on turbines around 6watts, although I am sure his knowledge goes beyond that range
A major part of survival is invisibility.
26 June 2013, 15:42,
(6 June 2013, 22:36)Tarrel Wrote: Yes. The grid-tie panels will operate through a grid-tie inverter that has an "islanding" function. As soon as the grid goes down, the inverter shuts down. It,s to prevent your solar-generated power being fed into the grid and zapping the poor guy trying to fix it.

That's why my grid-tie system will be DIY. I,m foregoing the feed in tariffs so I can design the system to be easily reconfigurable to feed a non-grid tie inverter when needed.

thats standard install requirements...but in a shtf sitx kinda deal it would be no problem "Lo-Jacking the whole kit to you own battery bank , then using the invertor for your own purposes,....

Alterego
26 June 2013, 16:14,
Highlander,

with your large PV array, I would look very carefully at finding a solution like Tarrel proposed earlier. This must be more cost effective than setting up a wind powered generator.

Even on e-bay there are a good number of high wattage charge controllers capable of 48v input voltages.

If you can devise a method to have these charge controllers swiched into the PV output ahead of the grid converter, you'll be able to charge and top up a 12v battery bank at will, with or without mains power coming into the property.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 June 2013, 21:09, (This post was last modified: 26 June 2013, 21:13 by Highlander.)
(7 June 2013, 20:33)Tarrel Wrote: In the event of a long-term power-outage, I'll re-wire the panels and have these charge the battery bank rather than feeding the grid-tie inverter.

Thank you very much,,... now I am sure that the above is very easy for you, but could you please outline that re-wiring in a very, very, simple, idiot way for me please

(26 June 2013, 16:14)Lightspeed Wrote: Highlander,

with your large PV array, I would look very carefully at finding a solution like Tarrel proposed earlier. This must be more cost effective than setting up a wind powered generator.

Even on e-bay there are a good number of high wattage charge controllers capable of 48v input voltages.

If you can devise a method to have these charge controllers swiched into the PV output ahead of the grid converter, you'll be able to charge and top up a 12v battery bank at will, with or without mains power coming into the property.

L.S... thanks,... one of the reasons for also looking at the wind turbine, is because in the winter we get very little daylight this far north, not getting light til about 9am and dark again by 4pm, worse on rainy, stormy days,.. so on these very low light days, the solar might simply not have the time to charge batteries,.... I am talking after an event now

... but I am looking at every option at the moment
26 June 2013, 21:25,
Highlander wrote:

...this far north, not getting light til about 9am and dark again by 4pm, worse on rainy, stormy days,.. so on these very low light days, the solar might simply not have the time to charge batteries,.... I am talking after an event now

That makes sense. I was forgetting how short the days are up there in winter.

Good luck with the turbine
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 June 2013, 21:28,
We may still do the two,. there would be nothing wrong with adding a little extra atshtf by doing as Tarrel suggested,.. if I can find out just how its done
27 June 2013, 11:53,
Any comments on this system,.. 4 KWs would be nice

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-wind-turbine...564d91c868