Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question of the day, Bugging in / out
7 June 2013, 22:39,
RE: Question of the day, Bugging in / out
At the furthest I could be as far as 30 miles from home and O/H at the furthest could be about 15 miles away, in the opposite direction.

Getting home wouldn't be a problem in as much as the roads wouldn't be either blocked or shut,.. but we have planned for this as best we can

Part of the plan is using the radios when we start to close down the distance between us, and once we know we are at set points we will use the loch and a boat to complete the journey, using the water will cut down our time and distance.

Depending on what time of the day `it happened` it could take a day or so to complete,... but we both carry enough to manage this
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 June 2013, 10:12,
Works a ten minute mountain bike ride home, (through dodgy estate) then it either a 30mins drive (if roads are clear which I doubt they will) or a 2.5hr mountain bike ride completely off road to my girlfriend n lil girl house
10 June 2013, 15:24,
Im a sales rep so no, I will have one hell of a time getting home if im out on the road. My wife could walk and pick up my three year old but i have to say my outlook on an "instant" disaster is bad.
Only two roads in and out from my office to home +- 40KM apart. Traveling through a Township/squatter camp on one road and next to Township/squatter camp on the other.
10 June 2013, 15:45,
(10 June 2013, 15:24)Bliksem Wrote: Im a sales rep so no, I will have one hell of a time getting home if im out on the road. My wife could walk and pick up my three year old but i have to say my outlook on an "instant" disaster is bad.
Only two roads in and out from my office to home +- 40KM apart. Traveling through a Township/squatter camp on one road and next to Township/squatter camp on the other.

Jesus h christ you need a contingency plan like getting a microlight and keeping it at work, townships, squatter camps and critters that prove humans are not top of the food chain dominate your area.

you need an alternative and quick i reckon Smile

10 June 2013, 18:55,
(10 June 2013, 15:24)Bliksem Wrote: Im a sales rep so no, I will have one hell of a time getting home if im out on the road. My wife could walk and pick up my three year old but i have to say my outlook on an "instant" disaster is bad.

If you have to walk, remember not to walk on the road, walk with the road in sight if possible,..this will help keep you hidden from view but still keep you on course,..

how is your map reading/compass work?, could you travel across country away from roads?,..if not it might be a good idea to find a map reading course

Is there anyone else at your work that would need to get home in the same direction,.. if you are not alone your chances are better.

I have no idea where you are. but is it possible to use waterways as a means of getting home?,.. if that's a possibility then a canoe stashed close to work would help,... rivers and canals are easily traveled, even if they take the long way

You need to think about this, its important, if necessary start a thread giving as much information about your route as you feel safe in doing, and lets see what ideas people come up with
10 June 2013, 19:15,
HL Bilksem ( Lightning) also has to consider that where he lives nearly everything around him want to eat him and a 40 mile tab in 40 degree South Afrikaans sun is a bit different to hoofing it up here Smile

10 June 2013, 19:34,
The boat is a good idea (thanks for the tip) as a river runs next to the furthermost road out of view from traffic, as for wildlife sharks in the river and leopards on the land is the most I have to fear as i live near the coast. Leopards generally leave people alone so there shouldn't be a problem there even if i was unarmed (Gun laws are as strict if not stricter here than in the UK). The major issue would be the locals and escape and evasion tactics. The sun is also not that bad if you are used to it Smile. Getting lost is nearly impossible but I can use a map and compass and I own them, I also own a GPS. (i find it useful for identifying water sources as South Africa is a water poor country.)
10 June 2013, 19:41,
Folding canoe / kayak sounds like its got potetial, or a small aluminium skiff fastened to your car roof rack and a small 5 hp outboard stored in the car may be options. Or even a small dirt bike carried on the back of your car, even a 50 cc monkey bike will do 150 miles on a tank of fuel and putter along at 50 MPH.

10 June 2013, 20:06, (This post was last modified: 10 June 2013, 20:13 by Straight Shooter.)
My group are all within 4 miles , only 1 son in law works Bristol so he is suspect, his work takes him out of the UK fairly regular also , I cannot plan for him, but all the others could get to HQ my place or I have worked out the routes to go get em through country lanes and over mountains. The main thing for me NR is convincing them to bloody listen to me !

I am sure all on here Know THE LOOK this look is looking at your prepps giving a understanding smile whilst looking straight through you with glazed semi vacant look and you can read the though process "dad has lost it "

BUT I remain 100% committed
10 June 2013, 20:21, (This post was last modified: 10 June 2013, 20:23 by Highlander.)
(10 June 2013, 19:15)NorthernRaider Wrote: HL Bilksem ( Lightning) also has to consider that where he lives nearly everything around him want to eat him and a 40 mile tab in 40 degree South Afrikaans sun is a bit different to hoofing it up here Smile

This is why I created a thread asking people to fill out their profile properly,... I had no idea where he was

Glad the boat tip was useful

I had forgotten the opening post