Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2nd. S13 £5 Prep Project
6 June 2013, 23:53,
2nd. S13 £5 Prep Project
This will require much more effort on your behalf, project one and project 2 go hand in hand. First off, as is customary, let's do a breakdown of what you're going to buy.

1. 2 litre Tub of Ice Cream (£3.00)
2. Marker Pen (£0.85)
3. Blank Sticker (£1.00)
4. A Freddo Bar (£0.15) need to use up the change.

Step 1.

Get a spoon from the kitchen, or steal one from the restaurant/cafe in the supermarket (not recommended as it's illegal).

Step 2.

Open iced cream tub.

Step 3.

Allow iced cream and spoon to make contact, followed shortly by a shovelling action into your mouth. Repeat process many times.

Step 4.

Feel fat but proud that you've managed to consume 2 litres of ice cream. 10 points to you.

Step 5.

Wash out empty tub in the kitchen sink. Look longingly at the Freddo, but resist the temptation.

Step 6.

Use the marker pen to write the letters MOCSTPO on the sticker. Feel free to change the order of the letters on the sticker.

Step 7.

Place sticker on the fresh and new looking ice cream tub.

Step 8.

Open the lid of the neatly labelled "Compost Tub" and place organic waste inside. This is best used for tea bags, cigarette ash, and other low stench items. Remember to replace the lid after each fill. Composting is done in an anaerobic (airless) process.

Step 9.

Once tub is full, forget it existed.

Step 10.

Freddo time! It was a long wait, but worth it.

Step 11.

Find the tub hidden away in some cool dry area, open it, and stand in amazement at the high quality of compost some forward thinking bugger had put into such a project. WHAT, they made multiple tubs of the stuff, and labelled them with the date they were completed at! That is one forward thinking fatty, eating all that ice cream!!!

Step 12.

Start Project 1 again, but without stolen soil. Instead, you now have high quality organic compost!

This is a super quick project, because it's 23:53 at night, and I'm knackered after work, but the thing is, composting really can be that easy.

What's your excuse for not starting?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 June 2013, 09:28,
RE: 2nd. S13 £5 Prep Project
Looks good but give us a good idea of how long between 9 and 10. I tried it last night and I can confirm 3 minutes isn't enough. Smile
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 June 2013, 10:52,
(7 June 2013, 09:28)Skean Dhude Wrote: Looks good but give us a good idea of how long between 9 and 10. I tried it last night and I can confirm 3 minutes isn't enough. Smile

How the hell did you eat 2 litres of ice cream, and then have room for a Freddo 3 minutes later?!?!?!? Actually, I've gone through 24 donuts in a day, as well as a hell of a lot more, so don't answer.

It's pretty fun composting this way, because ice cream tubs are fully stackable, plus you can get a reasonable bit of heat from them, if you have enough of them!
7 June 2013, 12:00,
The ice cream is eaten prior to the wait so it can take longer than three minutes. Plus I have no idea what a Freddo is.

Do you have an idea on how long to wait to give us an idea or do you have a stack of these none of which is beyond stage 9 yet?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 June 2013, 12:13,
Check the box every few months. I'd go with a 6 month period, as long as it's warm. Add worms if you want to shorten the time it takes.
7 June 2013, 20:33,
These - I really like. They're all within reach and I can DO them! Here comes the Dumbo question (I've never done this stuff before...) Any organic materiel?

7 June 2013, 23:23, (This post was last modified: 7 June 2013, 23:28 by Scythe13.)
(7 June 2013, 20:33)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: These - I really like. They're all within reach and I can DO them! Here comes the Dumbo question (I've never done this stuff before...) Any organic materiel?

Pretty much, yes.

Wouldn't recommend stuff like poop, or sticks. Leaves, grass clippings, leftover food, tea bags, coffee grounds, those sorts of things. Would stay away from liquids though, as they have a tendency to ferment. This can cause the boxes to pop open and fill the area with stinky liquid.

The smaller the pieces of organic matter, the faster it breaks down. I've known people to blend stuff before putting it in compost bins.

Break it into smaller pieces, and keep it warm, it'll break down really quickly.
8 June 2013, 00:33,
Thanks for that - really appreciated. Currently, we have a composting bin that I ordered from a green site giving them away and it stands mostly unused.

Our local authority has recently started to collect organic waste and provides a small, counter-top size container and biodegradable bags to line it but still, it's a struggle to get Mrs GG to us it fully without nagging (or gentle reminders, as I prefer to call them! Smile)

We have to move house in a couple of month's time so I'm holding this '5 quid project' in abeyance till after that but when (with a bit of gentle persuasion) I get my son to build me some raised planters that I can reach, I will make this happen!