Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archery question opinions sought
7 June 2013, 19:26, (This post was last modified: 7 June 2013, 19:55 by NorthernRaider.)
Archery question opinions sought
Guys I was just wondering if you just wanted a " Just in case" bow, a simple basic flat bow / log bow type thing without bells n whistles or pullies etc

What bow would you buy and what would you consider the lowest PRACTICAL draw weight for a bog standard bow ?

If cash was tight would you go for a cheaper basic bow like the Barnett Sportsflight 25pound draw bow

Or have you solid reasons for believing you need to get something better just for a basic bow for EDC duty?

Could I get some opinions / suggestions for a bog standard basic EDC bow that could be picked up and used by the average family member??

Ta muchly
NR

Forgot to say that what I'm looking for is a basic bow that can be reccomended to other preppers taking up the bow who dont want the complications of compound bow, I' trying to identify a good enough basic bow to help people get started.

7 June 2013, 22:57,
RE: Archery question opinions sought
Well it certainly would not be a cross bow, as most of them are too heavy a pull for many family members, even with your foot on it

I have looked a lot at these bows with the pulleys and wheels, and to be honest I do not see a lot of difference in the END RESULT, the arrow still flies the same,.... although I was very impressed with NRs recuved bow and the way the pull opperates,..[i.e. tough them suddenly easy]

I still prefer to go for something that is as simple as it can possibly be, if I can manage with something like that, then I stand a chance of being ok if ever it breaks and I have to make my own,... [ Gawd forbid..Smile ]

So I have gone for the simplicity of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Horsebow-Arche...20cc1ba2b8
A major part of survival is invisibility.
7 June 2013, 23:19,
I wouldn't go for an English long bow. They have a huge pull and could really put your back out!

Probably a sling bow. Cheap, easy to make, won't cause you too much damage, but will to the person standing in the way of the arrow.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 June 2013, 00:41,
i would only go for a long bow ... laminated and nicley oiled.
8 June 2013, 01:13,
You need something compact and robust. Not quite what you proposed, but my own choice would be one of those recurve horse type bows. Mongolian, or any other nationality they are sold as. A well made one of those is probably about £100 up but it would be ideal. A draw weight of 35lb or more would be ideal for penetration and range. Going too high a poundage might be good for budding sports people, but it makes it harder to master quickly and harder to aim well and is more strenuous - on the owner as well as the bow itself. Anyway, I don't know that much about bows, so that is just my two penneth. :-)
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
8 June 2013, 08:46,
I have the Samick SKB 50. See here for an in depth review of it (not by me) http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thr...CATEGORY=9

It is about as basic a bow as you can get and i absolutely love it. I think I picked mine up new for about £80. Draw weights go from 60lb to 30lb so one at the lower end would probably be suitable for various members of the family, although 30lb would still be difficult for someone with no experience at all.

I have the 45lb and if you dont practice regularly with it you really notice it when you pick it up again. I practiced for about 2 hours the other day after not picking it up for a couple of months and my arms felt like they were falling off afterwards, but that was after shooting a lot of arrows.

One thing to bear in mind with horse bows, long bows etc is that they wont have sights. An obvious statement maybe but shooting without sights or an arrow rest takes a fair bit of getting used to, and the majority of us wont be as accurate without sights as we would be with them.
8 June 2013, 09:19,
I have the contact details of a guy in Somerset who will make ANYONE a horse bow of 40LB draw weight for £60 + carriage, or a long bow if you prefer, to your own design and specifications. just pm me and I will send you the email details.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 June 2013, 09:24, (This post was last modified: 8 June 2013, 09:26 by NorthernRaider.)
Its quite interesting to note that bows such as the SAMICK SKB and SAMICK Polaris , Hungarian Horse bow, Korean Bow crop up time after time after time on lots of forums both archery and prepping types. Some are obviously chosen cos of
SIMPLICITY
IE a one piece lump of laminated wood, or a simple 3 piece take down type.
Others are chosen cos of
SIZE
IE the average horse bow is only a delightful 48 to 50 inches long.
and others because of
Price and Quality.

i'm pretty sure i'm not going to get even close to a one size fits all type bow, but thats not neccesarily a bad thing but I would like to see this thread continue to see how much more good advice we can get from our members.

REMEMBER NO COMPOUNDS OR X BOWS IN THIS THREAD Pretty please.

Another point that surfaces time after time is the range of draw weights, On American sites one often sees comments about 50 to 75 pound draw weights and similar draw weights from skilled practitioners of English long bows BUT, by a great margin you see far more posted advocating draw weights from 30/35 up to no more than 45 pounds draw as being MORE PRACTICAL for the UNSKILLED AND SEMI SKILLED Archers, plus ladies and youngsters.

8 June 2013, 11:43,
Most adult men can handle 40-45 comfortably with a little bit of training. This is too heavy for a complete beginner though as you need to get your Anchor point solid first before you have any hope of accurately hitting your target. This will be impossible if your bow is too strong for you. The lowest practical weight for your bow would be in the 40-50lb draw weight as this poundage is sufficient for anything in uk.
The Samick range of bows are very well made for the price and I have owned a couple of them and they all shot performed well. I fell down an embankment carrying a Samick SHB 58, and the bow shed the the string without any failure. The SKB 50 is a fantastic little bow, it is light weight, short and very fast. These loosely termed "Horsebows" are all shot off the hand traditional style, and compared to a "centre shot" bow are a little bit harder to use. I have found all of these bows to be sensitive to how you grip them. If you grip them too tight they have tendency to "kick", you must grip them loosely. Some of them can be a bit fussy with arrows, as I have found a heavier Arrow is needed to quieten them down. If you want to try this type of bow then the Samick SKB 50 is a good choice. It is a well tested bow and very popular so if there were any problems they would have shown up by now. If you want to try an authentic nomad bow and are serious, then there are none better than Csaba Grozer http://www.grozerarchery.com/index_m.htm
If you want a field bow that is reliable and well recommended the Samick SHB 58 is a great little bow, I owned one for three years in 45lb and it was excellent. My Wife still owns one. http://www.bowsports.com/acatalog/Samick...d_Bow.html. The down side with all these centre shot bows is that you need some sort of arrow rest to shoot off, although you could shoot some field bows straight off the shelf.
So, for simplicity a traditional bow would be the option, no cams, arrow rests or sights etc.
8 June 2013, 12:27, (This post was last modified: 8 June 2013, 12:42 by NorthernRaider.)
Fabulous info coming in guys its priceless.

So looking at it from a preppers point of view rather than an archers I think thinking
Simplicity for reliability ( less to go wrong and less likely to decay in storage)
Short length (for manouverability and for people of smaller stature)

Draw weight now theres the sticking point, I think that if its a prepper or prepper family that DOES practice reasonably often 40 to 45 pound draw will probably be best, but if the prepper or family are only occasional users and the bow is going to spend much of its time on stand by I'm leaning towards 30 to 35 pound draw ????

I've been looking on forums and see generally good things about Samicks and Kayas and better quality korean bows.

Dammit I'm learning loads from this thread, thanks guys.

Bugger, it appears the Samicks are always of limited supply and availability, thats a negative for us, I cannot find any stockists of the SKB 50 or 58 in the UK, the nearest I can find is this Samick junior flatbow of 48 inches, and available in the draw weights we like so far

http://www.bowsports.com/acatalog/Samick...d_Bow.html

Erm got a feeling I'm searching for the wrong thing !!! I've been searching for an SKB instead of SHB, I'll try again.

Found this slightly to long bow 58 inches !!, its a start

http://www.thelongbowshop.com/products/S...d-Bow.html