Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archery question opinions sought
8 June 2013, 14:06,
RE: Archery question opinions sought
The Samick SHB 58 is a great bow NR, it is not too long at all to use, I used one for a few years and they are excellent field bows. You can use them anywhere, and in any type of bush. You will need an Arrow rest though.
8 June 2013, 14:13, (This post was last modified: 8 June 2013, 14:14 by Highlander.)
NR, I think your first sentence says a lot.. we do need to look at this subject from a prepers point of view and not a sportmans point of view,.. this is why things need to be as simple as can be

Once you have that, much of whats needed is not so much the bow, but what TH calls `the Anchor point` so that each shot is of the same power and hopefully the same accuracy

There is one other factor that tends to buck this view though, and that is the stringing of the bow,.. I consider my bow to be very good in all aspects very simple to use,.... but it is not an easy beast to string, although with practice I am sure many would get better at it

(8 June 2013, 14:06)Tartar Horde Wrote: The Samick SHB 58 is a great bow NR, it is not too long at all to use, I used one for a few years and they are excellent field bows. You can use them anywhere, and in any type of bush. You will need an Arrow rest though.

TH why do you always need an arrow rest?
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 June 2013, 17:45, (This post was last modified: 8 June 2013, 17:50 by Tartar Horde.)
Using an arrow rest on the SHB 58 means you can hold the bow vertically making full use of the centre cut design. If you don't use an arrow on this bow you will have to "cant" or tilt the bow as the arrow shelf is slightly rounded and so the arrow has the possibility to move, but it can be shot without a rest, in my experience it is better with one.

The SKB "horse bow" doesn't have a centre shot design so you would shoot it off the hand, for pure simplicity this is the way to go. Once you get your hand position right for you, as this makes a lot of difference to traditional bows, you will wonder why you ever needed an arrow rest.
8 June 2013, 21:53,
What I do,..rightly or wrongly is mark on the bow a line where the top of my fist holds the bow,... along the line of my thumb... this way I hold the bow in the same position every time, I then rest my arrow on my thumb in the normal way [ of a bow without a arrow rest ],..so the arrow should be resting on the same point each time
8 June 2013, 22:00,
Quote:I cannot find any stockists of the SKB 50 or 58 in the UK

Found this UK seller who sells the SKB 50 for £99, definitely worth looking around though as some will throw in extra strings or other bits of pieces. Looking at a few archery forums there does seem to be a supply problem with some Samick products

http://www.aimarchery.co.uk/istvan-toth-...order.html
8 June 2013, 22:24,
Bloody good find, thanks for helping source some JD.
NR

14 July 2013, 14:15,
(7 June 2013, 23:19)Scythe13 Wrote: I wouldn't go for an English long bow. They have a huge pull and could really put your back out!

I doubt it mate, unless you go for a heavy draw longbow without bringing yourself up through the ranks first.

14 July 2013, 14:43,
(7 June 2013, 22:57)Highlander Wrote: Well it certainly would not be a cross bow, as most of them are too heavy a pull for many family members, even with your foot on it

I have looked a lot at these bows with the pulleys and wheels, and to be honest I do not see a lot of difference in the END RESULT, the arrow still flies the same,.... although I was very impressed with NRs recuved bow and the way the pull opperates,..[i.e. tough them suddenly easy]

I still prefer to go for something that is as simple as it can possibly be, if I can manage with something like that, then I stand a chance of being ok if ever it breaks and I have to make my own,... [ Gawd forbid..Smile ]

So I have gone for the simplicity of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Horsebow-Arche...20cc1ba2b8

I was looking at them the other day pal ,if you get one could you please wright a review cheers
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
14 July 2013, 17:41,
(14 July 2013, 14:43)Barneyboy Wrote: I was looking at them the other day pal ,if you get one could you please wright a review cheers

I have had this bow for about 6 months now, and shot a lot of arrows in that time,..and the bow has performed perfectly.

From the time it came of of the box, I havent been able to fault the quality, the skin that covers the wood has never showed any sign of lifting, even though I have shot it out in the rain

The only part of the bow that shows the wood is the end 6 inches or so, and I thought in the beginning, that the weak spot would be where the string guides were stuck onto the bow, but there has never been a problem with any part of it,.. the bow is as good now as it ever was

The only problem in the very beginning was putting on the string, the bow is completely curved the `wrong` way before the string is on, so it does take a little work,.... but having said that, I now find that I can string it a lot easier, not because of any weakness in the bow, but I have learnt to string it the way I find it easiest,... it just takes a little practice

I think it is an excellent bow, simple design, very lightweight, no problems with the original string which I am still using, and very comfortable to use
14 July 2013, 18:46,
I have a custom made bow, it a flatbow/horse bow, a copy of a Native American bow, its only 40 inches long and uses a 20 inch arrow,its rated at about 35LBS but this thing IS powerful, probably something to do with its short length, I have been told the Native Americans used these sorts of bows to take down Buffalo and I can quite see that happening.....it cost me £60...I think its worth a lot more than that but the guy who made it isn't interested in money, he's a bit of a recluse and makes them for the joy of it, the money is incidental!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.