Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archery question opinions sought
14 July 2013, 19:54,
RE: Archery question opinions sought
(14 July 2013, 17:41)Highlander Wrote:
(14 July 2013, 14:43)Barneyboy Wrote: I was looking at them the other day pal ,if you get one could you please wright a review cheers

I have had this bow for about 6 months now, and shot a lot of arrows in that time,..and the bow has performed perfectly.

From the time it came of of the box, I havent been able to fault the quality, the skin that covers the wood has never showed any sign of lifting, even though I have shot it out in the rain

The only part of the bow that shows the wood is the end 6 inches or so, and I thought in the beginning, that the weak spot would be where the string guides were stuck onto the bow, but there has never been a problem with any part of it,.. the bow is as good now as it ever was

The only problem in the very beginning was putting on the string, the bow is completely curved the `wrong` way before the string is on, so it does take a little work,.... but having said that, I now find that I can string it a lot easier, not because of any weakness in the bow, but I have learnt to string it the way I find it easiest,... it just takes a little practice

I think it is an excellent bow, simple design, very lightweight, no problems with the original string which I am still using, and very comfortable to use

thanks for that pal ,what draw did you get ,I have a longbow about 60 lb a cross bow 150 was thinking about the 80lb for this bow as I am a big chap so will not put my back out. sorry NRTongue.will they take the 80lb draw
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
14 July 2013, 21:29,
(14 July 2013, 19:54)Barneyboy Wrote:
(14 July 2013, 17:41)Highlander Wrote:
(14 July 2013, 14:43)Barneyboy Wrote: I was looking at them the other day pal ,if you get one could you please wright a review cheers

I have had this bow for about 6 months now, and shot a lot of arrows in that time,..and the bow has performed perfectly.

From the time it came of of the box, I havent been able to fault the quality, the skin that covers the wood has never showed any sign of lifting, even though I have shot it out in the rain

The only part of the bow that shows the wood is the end 6 inches or so, and I thought in the beginning, that the weak spot would be where the string guides were stuck onto the bow, but there has never been a problem with any part of it,.. the bow is as good now as it ever was

The only problem in the very beginning was putting on the string, the bow is completely curved the `wrong` way before the string is on, so it does take a little work,.... but having said that, I now find that I can string it a lot easier, not because of any weakness in the bow, but I have learnt to string it the way I find it easiest,... it just takes a little practice

I think it is an excellent bow, simple design, very lightweight, no problems with the original string which I am still using, and very comfortable to use

thanks for that pal ,what draw did you get ,I have a longbow about 60 lb a cross bow 150 was thinking about the 80lb for this bow as I am a big chap so will not put my back out. sorry NRTongue.will they take the 80lb draw

I went for the 60 lb pull [ I think ],... but looking through my Ebay account, the design that you have up is slightly different from the one I got, its from the same people, and looks the same, but made with slightly different materials

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Archery-Pigski...1e769f3574
A major part of survival is invisibility.
14 July 2013, 21:52,
cheers pal most appreciate
14 July 2013, 22:03,
Glad you guys are making progress, I'm still struggling. From what I can find out the best affordable decent make of recurve for me is the Samick Sage at 35 LB draw, its a TDR bow so I can get stronger limbs as I develop. But the American bow hunters who rarely give bad advice swear by them they take game from 35 lb draw with Sages. Same sort of response on SB from the American survivalist community and even the Aussie boards give the Sage a great review, But we dont get the Sage in the UK !!!

Many British archery forums think / believe that only club members who punch paper targets or do mtal target archery ( again in clubs) are worthy of consideration or respect. Ask they to think outside the box or to respect people ith other viewpoints and you just get ignored, But even then I see people reccomending the Samick Sage to folks.
But I cannot find one in the UK.

So anyway, I want a 3 piece TDR bow 35 pound draw and preferably 50 to 58 inches tip to tip.

14 July 2013, 22:11,
(14 July 2013, 22:03)NorthernRaider Wrote: Glad you guys are making progress, I'm still struggling. From what I can find out the best affordable decent make of recurve for me is the Samick Sage at 35 LB draw, its a TDR bow so I can get stronger limbs as I develop. But the American bow hunters who rarely give bad advice swear by them they take game from 35 lb draw with Sages. Same sort of response on SB from the American survivalist community and even the Aussie boards give the Sage a great review, But we dont get the Sage in the UK !!!

Many British archery forums think / believe that only club members who punch paper targets or do mtal target archery ( again in clubs) are worthy of consideration or respect. Ask they to think outside the box or to respect people ith other viewpoints and you just get ignored, But even then I see people reccomending the Samick Sage to folks.
But I cannot find one in the UK.

So anyway, I want a 3 piece TDR bow 35 pound draw and preferably 50 to 58 inches tip to tip.

looks well made NR watch your back pal ,with the bow and the yanks mateBig Grin
14 July 2013, 22:25,
Oh our colonial cousins are good enough guys, I like em a lot, but as a nation they have a weird sense of justice.

15 July 2013, 09:11,
they have a weird sense of humour too!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 July 2013, 23:01,
Anyone interested in these, 8 x vintage bows from the 1970s, up on the 8th of August, found in a house clearance

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-vintage-19...1c353255d2
A major part of survival is invisibility.
1 August 2013, 12:21,
I think their fibreglass, I had one I bought in a car boot for £2 no string no arrows, it was ok but once I got my horse bow I sold it on to BM.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 August 2013, 19:01,
Hi
I've been sbooting longbow for some years now (30lbs Bickerstaff), and can offer you the following advice:
1. Archery is not a weapons system that you an pick up and use. That's why the French prefered the xbow in the middle ages onwards to the bow as training took hours or days rather than years with respect to the bow.
2. Applying this to a potential survival situation, what would you use the bow for, assuming it's primary use would be mid to long distance defence followed by hunting / fishing. This will have a bearing on the bow type or if a bow is suitable at all! I would suggest, if I have not talked you out of it, would be a bare bow / flat bow made of artificial material. This would have reduced or little maintennce compared to a wood bow. Also, like soooo many things in life, size matters. Will you need to defend with it from a building, i which case, a short bow like the mongolian or native american bow would suffice. Thats why castle roofs were high!
3. Practice, practice, practice!
Henry VII instructed all men to practice the bow every Sunday. The reason for this was the time it took to be effective. I found from experience that the most expensive part of this actiity is time.

In summary, when the shtf, my bows will be part of my defence but i'll rely on more immediate methods first.

Try Quicks Archery for advice. They are very honest and will set you up well. Japan or Korian bows are good value. Avoid compounds as these compose of many parts to go wrong.
To give you an idea of how the bow still carries weight, I gave a ridiculing clay pigeon shooter 70 yards away and two shots at me as long as I can have one arrow at him at 250 yards, he turned me down!
Good luck with your choice.
Leigh

I
I
time it took to learn the bow.