Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archery question opinions sought
13 August 2013, 21:06,
RE: Archery question opinions sought
Hi Leigh,

I've been considering bows but have absolutely no experience and no local clubs either.

How long do you think it will take to become proficient with say 2 hours practice per week?

What range is best to practice at, as we'll have to practice within our own boundaries?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

14 August 2013, 09:16,
RE: Archery question opinions sought
(13 August 2013, 21:06)Lightspeed Wrote: Hi Leigh,

I've been considering bows but have absolutely no experience and no local clubs either.

How long do you think it will take to become proficient with say 2 hours practice per week?

What range is best to practice at, as we'll have to practice within our own boundaries?

IMO your best range to practice at would be your point on range. This is the distance that when you point exactly at the bullseye your arrow will hit it at the correct height.
Any distance further than your point on range and you will need to aim higher, depending how much further you need to shoot. If the target is nearer you will aim lower.

Point on range is different for everyone depending on your bow weight, draw length, strength etc. Most beginners start off around 15 – 20 yards and go from there. At my club we shoot up to 80 yards.
Try to do EXACTLY the same movement each time as consistency is everything in archery.

Time wise just practice as much as possible, and if you can with a fellow archer. They can spot any flaws or bad habits you may get into, and it’s more fun!

There’s a lot more to archery than explained here, this is just my beginner advice.
Happy shooting !