Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ever changing variables
10 June 2013, 22:38,
RE: ever changing variables
(10 June 2013, 11:00)Scythe13 Wrote: Consider this, numerous studies have shown that a better level of fitness helps to cope with stress, in the work place, and in life and death situations!!! I think TEOTWAWKI will be at least a mildly stressful situation!!! Low fitness just means your ability to cope with stress, change, mental and emotional challenges, is not at the level it could be at.

Increasing your fitness isn't everything, but damn....it greatly increases your chances of surviving a situation much more than if you had no fitness!!!

I agree that stress will be a factor after the SHTF, but here we are talking more about the fitness of the mind, not so much the body,.... so in a way we could class this forum as the gym,.. we are preparing our minds/thoughts for a time when things will be a lot different,...as prepers we are so much fitter to deal with the stress that will come

I agree, fitness is not everything, together with the fitness you now hold,.. your abilities will give you the edge,... its not a bit of good being a superman, if you cant open a can of beans,... but you can be unfit and still catch game,.. you dont need to chase it down
A major part of survival is invisibility.
11 June 2013, 09:05,
Healthy body = healthy mind= better thought processes for prepping and planning.

11 June 2013, 23:36,
Umm Ogg.... now tool user...

Umm Ogg .. now think better..

Umm Ogg.. now equal big tooth cat..

Umm Ogg. now full belly :-)

Umm Ogg.. now see Ogette for increase prepper tribe.

lol
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
12 June 2013, 09:50,
(10 June 2013, 22:38)Highlander Wrote:
(10 June 2013, 11:00)Scythe13 Wrote: Consider this, numerous studies have shown that a better level of fitness helps to cope with stress, in the work place, and in life and death situations!!! I think TEOTWAWKI will be at least a mildly stressful situation!!! Low fitness just means your ability to cope with stress, change, mental and emotional challenges, is not at the level it could be at.

Increasing your fitness isn't everything, but damn....it greatly increases your chances of surviving a situation much more than if you had no fitness!!!
I agree that stress will be a factor after the SHTF, but here we are talking more about the fitness of the mind, not so much the body,.... so in a way we could class this forum as the gym,.. we are preparing our minds/thoughts for a time when things will be a lot different,...as prepers we are so much fitter to deal with the stress that will come

Sorry HL, I think I explained myself badly. I'll rephrase what I meant.

Having a fitter healthier body, greatly enhances your ability to deal with mental and emotional stress, both of which we will be dealing with post SHTF.

I have not seen many CEOs or MDs that are really fat and unhealthy. They all seem to be pretty fit and mentally alert. Why? Because they have learned something Richard Branson has also clicked onto. Branson says "The way to increase office productivity is to go to the gym." It has been documented MANY times that during board meetings, when they're at a standstill, Branson has stopped the meeting and told everyone present to hit the gym for 1 hour. He says that after they come back is the most productive hour they have.

Exercise not only increases your physical health, it hugely increases your mental and emotional health. The larger you are, the more your heart is at risk (over-simplification, but it's something we all know is true). The larger you are, the more damaging stress is on your heart (over-simplified, but still true). A healthy body lowers your natural heart risk, lowers the damaging potential of stress, but best of all, it increases your natural ability to deal with that stress mentally!!!

It really is as NR says, healthy body healthy mind.

If you really want to have some fun with it, look up the effects of dopamine on the brain, and the balancing effects exercise has on the hormonal levels. Also, add a quick look on exercise and melatonin levels.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 June 2013, 09:59,
I don't think its so much FIT as in athlete or bodybuilder fit, but more being fit to do the physical tasks that we will be doing post shtf, as in fit for manual labour rather than running a marathon.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 June 2013, 14:48,
Being pysically fit does nothing for dealing with stress imo.
Your mind needs to be strong, not your body.
You could be charles atlas, but if your minds weak, your useless and probably dead.
That 6 stone weakling could have the mind of a spartan.....
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
12 June 2013, 14:57,
nothing wrong with my mind, its the body that's flabby....maybe!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 June 2013, 15:07,
(12 June 2013, 14:48)Prepper1 Wrote: Being pysically fit does nothing for dealing with stress imo.

Spot on.

IMHO stress is like boredom. I'm sure that only certain people suffer from this. Never been one to get stressed myself. Maybe I'm too laid back