Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talking About Little things
9 June 2013, 10:41,

No not SD's little thing Smile

Have you ever thought about some little things you can do to ensure your response to the initial part of a disaster or crisis is made just that little bit easy by forethought and planning.

Silly little things like ensuring your car is pointed the right way in the street for a quick getaway, or reversed onto your drive so that your boot / hatch/ tailgate is nearest the house for quick loading of BOBS, and also for a quick getaway.

Having hooks or hangers already mounted on the wall of the rooms you will want to hang candle lanterns, light sticks or drape 12vdc LED lights off rather than say trying to find suitable spots to stick an unprotected lit candle during a power cut.

Things like keeping a Light stick or flashlight ready for use next to your fuse-box / distribution board to help you see when the breakers trip out.

Keeping a bag or tub ready with paper / kindling/ matches/ fire lighter’s and small pieces of wood etc ready and close to hand for getting the wood stove going in a hurry.

Revisiting pre-arranged pick up points a couple of times a year just to ensure that “spot” you chose to collect your wife/ kids etc as the SHTF is still suitable.

Keeping a suitable knife sharpener WITH your EDC blade

Making a note and keeping it update with the locations of all 24 hour service station in your area for sourcing fuel, and notes of all major long term road works that could impede your bug in / bug out

Keeping some precut plywood boards of the size of your windows ready, predrilled and with screws/ plus in a bag taped to them for the quick boarding up of your windows if damaged or security needs demand.

Fastening something colourful and retro-reflective to your car radio antenna to help you spot it when parked up in a large modern crowded car park

Keeping a bow/ string/ quiver/ and arrows or air rifle and ammo bagged and ready for instant loading to the BOV or as a response to a developing incident.

Storing a flashlight with the batteries taped to the outside or stored separately in a pouch so that you’re not looking for batteries to feed the torch in a blackout, and the batteries are not slowly discharging themselves when stored within the flashlight.

Always keeping your car keys, shades, EDC knife and kit in the same spot in the house so you’re not rummaging around looking for em if TSHTF.

Have a short key word or phrase agreed with your family members that if you send to them by text or messenger or voice mail that tells them to drop what they are doing immediately and respond to the agreed but out plan.

Keeping your BOB near the nearest exit

9 June 2013, 12:33,
RE: Talking About Little things
Do many of these NR,.. when ever we finish with the fire its always laid for the next time,.. even all through the summer, cleaned out and reset

Always have a small torch next to where I sit, it lives on the unit there,... and most places like the kitchen and toilet have candles there ready, if you buy these decorative candle holders, [ in our case lanterns] then they dont look out of place,...and my hands now are no more than a foot from a light stick
A major part of survival is invisibility.
9 June 2013, 13:01,
It's the attention to detail that can make all the difference
Failure is NOT an option
9 June 2013, 20:24,
I always reverse the van into spaces,always have a flashlight in the car as well as a travel blanket and spare water/fuel/oil and a selection of tools.I always carry a knife regardless where i am and a lighter (though i'm vaping rather than smoking these days).It's something I've always done.I should do more to be prepared,but those things i've done for years without really thinking why i do it. A lot of 50 quid old bangers probably had something to do with it.
10 June 2013, 13:09,
Do a lot of these again NRs post has been like a check list a bow is on my list next purchase and do need to cut some ply wood to size
10 June 2013, 21:43,
(9 June 2013, 10:41)NorthernRaider Wrote: Have you ever thought about some little things you can do to ensure your response to the initial part of a disaster or crisis is made just that little bit easy by forethought and planning.

Now THAT, is what I call tactical... Smile What would happen if... What if I did... What if they did... Could I prevent...

11 June 2013, 19:20,
What great, simple, practical ideas! Some are good habits to get into, others are what you might call "10 minute preps that you can do today" (e.g. torch by the fuse box).
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.