Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
population density
11 June 2013, 15:24,
RE: population density
(11 June 2013, 11:05)TwistedPuppy Wrote: My point being,UK would be screwed and even seasoned survivalists would heavily rely on luck

If we have a complete worldwide economic collapse (which from where I sit continues to increase from possibility to probability to damn near a certainty) then we're all screwed - the degree of "screwedness" being determined by our location and the size of the group of like-minded people in our immediate vicinity. I would be less worried about population density (unless I lived in a large city) and more concerned about my ability to defend myself and my family from what we here jokingly refer to as MZBs or Mutant Zombie Bikers, ie: thugs with wheels. You can bet that such folk will NOT be worried about nor comply with any firearms registration laws. Fortunately, the MZBs' major mode of transportation is extremely vulnerable to a few pounds of roofing nails scattered on the road.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
11 June 2013, 15:33,
Talking of nails on roads.
One of the local farmers up here go so fed up with thieving scrotes from the town raiding his farm vehicles for diesel came up with a wicked deterant. he got some crushed hard agrigate rock from some place that is about the size of round foundation dolomite, but rather than be soft and crushable this grey coloured rock was solid and sharp edged, he put this on the first 50 yards of the track up to where he kept his plant equipment. Any car driving up with ordinary tyres saw them shredded before they got half way, but his huge tractor tyres on his tractors were unaffected cos of their very low footprint, and his isuzu pick up he just drives through the gate then over the field without ruining the tyres. So perhaps after TSHTF some judicously broken up chunks of concrete paving stones on the road could stop most 2 and 4 wheel scavengers from getting to close to our bases.?

12 June 2013, 06:45,
I think a plan only to bug in is a little short sighted in my opinion

especially with the population densities of massive cities.

It may be ok for the first day or so, but once the general population see that it is a serious situation, its gonna tun ugly really quick!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
12 June 2013, 10:32,
if it gets to that state it is probably already too late to bug out, the time to BO is BEFORE TSHTF before the sheeple panic and block all the roads.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 June 2013, 11:07,
I think Bugging out without a destination is universally a bad idea, regardless of your location. You are basically just embracing the refugee lifestyle. All the material pout out on bugging out does has some merit though; you may be away from your BOL, be that your home or somewhere more rural, and have to get back using what you prepped and have close at hand.

I really hope that one of the last things the state does before imploding totally, in the event of a full blown Ragnarok scenario, is declare some sort of martial law on big cities, containing most of the people until it is too late for them to get very far.

I think the best strategy would be to either have a plot of woodland and some open ground, with a hidden shelter, or a home / retreat (could just be your house though) in somewhere like Cumbria or north Wales, in a small village where most people are on board and self reliant. You'd then stay low for the first 90 days, and try to intercept refugees before they even get close with ambush / patrols.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
12 June 2013, 11:38,
I find it impossible to discuss topics with so many variables. We can prepare for any situation we feel may affect us to the best of our ability, but in any real SHTF scenario the situation will change very rapidly and I doubt anyone's plans will survive first contact. It is good to theorise and play out such episodes, but don't think the World will unfold to your survival scenario because it won't. Our greatest tool to surviving is adaptability.
The only constant in the Universe is change, adapt or die.
12 June 2013, 16:35,
(12 June 2013, 10:32)bigpaul Wrote: if it gets to that state it is probably already too late to bug out, the time to BO is BEFORE TSHTF before the sheeple panic and block all the roads.

Good point! Historically, refugees have done very badly.
Rule #1 - if at all possible, DON'T become a refugee!
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
12 June 2013, 16:56,
(12 June 2013, 16:35)Jonas Wrote:
(12 June 2013, 10:32)bigpaul Wrote: if it gets to that state it is probably already too late to bug out, the time to BO is BEFORE TSHTF before the sheeple panic and block all the roads.

Good point! Historically, refugees have done very badly.
Rule #1 - if at all possible, DON'T become a refugee!

if you BUG OUT have a BUG OUT location to go to, if you don't have a BOL your just a refugee.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.