Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post TU Comms / Groups and Villages
12 June 2013, 15:23,
RE: Post TU Comms / Groups and Villages
(12 June 2013, 15:17)Skean Dhude Wrote: Because we don't want our kids to die before the are 40 and want them to have a good life.

Not everyone is happy living a solitary life.

Huh

Maybe I've missed something in the thread, but I don't think there was any suggestion of living a solitary life?
12 June 2013, 15:42,
I think he means me!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 June 2013, 15:56,
Technology?

In a post SHTF situation if everything goes down the tubes,
then the general consensus is to get your archive of Mother Earth News
and start rebuilding from scratch using earlier low-techs.

However - at some stage - you 'improve'. Telecommunication may be one of those things
you might consider.
12 June 2013, 16:50,
Still reckon as recently discussed on another thread RVs, Notice Boards, Couriers and amateur / CB radio will be our primary comms.

12 June 2013, 16:59,
River Song,

Take it step-by-step. Once things go "tango-uniform" the very first comms that a small town or village needs is comms from guard/watch locations to a central hub so that security can be maintained. While hand-held radios seem to be an obvious answer, electronics can go "tango-uniform" too. The most reliable comms for this would, I believe, be military sound powered and hardwired telephones.

How many are needed? It depends on the number of attack points that have to be defended. The easiest way to plan this is to take a walk with a map of the area, and mark the obvious attack points and the best locations for observation posts.

Next on the list, for roving security patrols would be hand-held radios.

It will be quite some time after SHTF before "Aunt Maggie" will be able to chat with "Cousin Louise" for an hour or so about chicken casserole recipes.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
12 June 2013, 17:04,
for guard duty, you could just use blasts on a whistle, one is "friend coming in", 2 is "stranger at the gate", 3 is "we are under attack"....or something like that, i'm sure the ex military can improve what I've just said!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 June 2013, 17:28,
(12 June 2013, 15:17)Skean Dhude Wrote: Because we don't want our kids to die before the are 40 and want them to have a good life.

Not everyone is happy living a solitary life.
I fail to see why technology would stop people dying at 40.
and I cant see why the lack of technology means you would die at 40.

Certainly aspects of it can make your life easier or lazier, there's nothing wrong with a good days hard work.

Just because life hard doesn't mean it has to be short.

The Amish have a hard life by modern standards and they're not all dead at 40.

each to their own, but technology hasnt made modern life easier, just more complicated.

An engineer said to me the other day, since the firm he worked for changed from paper based work sheets to computer based ones, his working day has gone from upwards of 20 services a day to less than 10 because of the amount of faffing needed on the pc....

We've all rang firms to find out nothing happening to the job we put in to be done or the pc's running slow on their end and you'll have to wait....

EMP burst, would devastate this planet, it shouldn't be like that.

We should be able to cope without technology, but the world would end for most without it unfortunatly...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
12 June 2013, 17:50,
we COULD all live without technology, electricity, cars, phones, computers and Xboxes, but there are many people out there in the population who WOUDNT want to, many people have said to me that they wouldn't want to survive if they couldn't have their modern lifestyle..with all the above gadgets. we COULD live a more natural life, WITHOUT commuting hundreds of miles to work, like I've said before it would be very similar to that of the Amish, just "closer to the soil" than people do at the moment, we wouldn't all have to be farmers though, we would need carpenters, builders, roofers, thatchers, blacksmiths, wheelrights, people who can handle horses and donkeys, people who can raise animals(not all farmers are stockmen some are just Arable/crop farmers) , I think NR has the full list of trades, but you see my point, life dosent have to end cos we don't have technology, its just a different lifestyle, one which everybody could take a part in, if they so chose.
12 June 2013, 20:15,
BP, I was talking in response to the technology comments.

------------

We go in circles again.

Technology is not bad. It's uses are.

I'm going to keep technology going as long as I can to aid our survival and help us get back on our feet. As far up the ladder as we can. Eventually we will reach a stage where we can replace our kit or not at that point we will adapt to whatever is available.

You can plan for what you want and take advantage of what technology you want to use. I'm doing the same.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
12 June 2013, 20:20,
I am a survivalist because AFTER TSHTF I want to continue for as long as possible ( preferably until normality returns) and I am delighted to retain and use technology for as long as possible. I like some of the features from the Victorian era but I have no desire to live that way permenantly.

In respect for SD I wont launch into my reasons for disliking modern society so much , but its more to do with bad politics than technology.