Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to Basics a SUGGESTED Get Home Bag
14 June 2013, 09:46,
RE: Back to Basics a SUGGESTED Get Home Bag
OH wants to know where we can get INDIVIDUAL packets of wet wipes, packets of 75 or 100 seem to dry out as soon as you open them!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 June 2013, 11:15,
put them in a small sandwich/Tupperware box .....the used to be sold orig in a flip top sealable box. and keep them in the fridge too !...great if you eat a lot of curries !! Smile
14 June 2013, 11:35,
I remember going over my GHB with I-K-E at the Wales Meet.

You don't need loads of equipment, even for a 100 mile trip (on foot). Look at the stuff Ultra-Marathoners take. Check out UTMB for a brilliant GHB kit list. If it's good enough for UTMB, it's damn well good enough for us.

My basic GHB is:
Water (you'll be refuelling and the UK is an easy place to find water)
Water purification tablets for above purpose
1 Medium knife
1 Small knife
First Aid Kit
LOADS of Pro Plus (pull an all nighter, or 3)
1 Emergency Shelter
2 Space blankets
Compeed Blister kit
Energy sachets to keep movement to a max
Recovery sachets to keep recovery to a max
Chocolate, because it's delicious and keeps spirits high
Waterproof jacket
Ultra-Lite Head Torch, plus spare batteries
2 Para-cord bracelets.
A pair of Vibram 5 Finger Shoes

I think that's about it, off the top of my head.
Don't see much use for more than that. I'd have my EDC with me, so that's compass, another knife (or 3), lock picks, and a little bit more.

You really only need enough stuff to keep you alive and functioning until you can get home. Ultra runners travel crazy distances in 2 days. With a combination of jogging and walking, if you're of reasonable fitness, you should be able to cover about 100 miles! WHAT?!?!? Yep, I'm serious. If you travel at 4mph, in 25 hours, you've covered 100 miles. Halve that speed shall we. If you travel 2mph, and travel for 18 hours a day (very doable if you really want to get home) you'll be travelling 104 miles in 3 days. I'd try for an average speed of 3mph, for 12 hours a day, totalling 108 miles. To be totally honest, I would more likely try to maintain about 5 miles an hour (that's 12 minute miles, a very doable pace for people of pretty good fitness), but would maintain that pace for less time. In a day, you could run 1 hour, rest an hour, and still cover 60 miles in a day.

See why fitness and practice is important? Lighter kit makes life much easier. The 100 mile journey still wouldn't be easy, but it would be much easier if you're fit, and with light kit.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 June 2013, 11:40,
Running at that pace for that length of time may be doable but it doesn't consider terrain or who you may meet on the way. Potentially you will be tired and running into ambushes.

I would expect you would be lucky to travel 10 miles a day in this country. It is so built up.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
14 June 2013, 11:44,
GHB are all dependant on how far someone travels in a day, personally that would be 8-20 miles normally, some people commute from here to Exeter that's 30 miles, some people travel further than that. like SD says 10 miles a day on foot would be about average.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 June 2013, 11:54,
I pumped out 25 miles on the coastal walk, with my full BOB, in a day, without any running!

It's a good point about bumping into people, but you'll be on your GHB so early in a crisis, I wouldn't be too concerned about ambushes to start with. As for terrain, check out UTMB's terrain haha. I'd genuinely go by roads for the first day or so of crisis. People would probably still be getting their bearings. Avoid major cities and communal centres, but most places should be fine (depending on the incident).
14 June 2013, 11:59,
we all know you are extra fit Scythe but for us lesser mortals I think 10-15 miles a day would be enough!Big Grin as for roads, in a crisis I think we want to get off roads as soon as possible as they'll be full of panicking sheeple going crazy, so get out, across country, paralleling roads but no on them.
14 June 2013, 12:19,
(14 June 2013, 11:59)bigpaul Wrote: in a crisis I think we want to get off roads as soon as possible as they'll be full of panicking sheeple going crazy, so get out, across country, paralleling roads but no on them.

Initially, I believe roads will be pretty normal (depending on the crisis situation), but after a day or 2, I totally agree, run parallel to them.
14 June 2013, 13:05,
People get ambushed every day now. We call it mugging. So what makes you think the scum will all in in watching telly a day into some unknown event?

No plod, cars stuck all over the place some guy runs round the corner with a rucksack tired after running for hours. Let me think what wil happen next?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
14 June 2013, 13:09,
(14 June 2013, 13:05)Skean Dhude Wrote: People get ambushed every day now. We call it mugging. So what makes you think the scum will all in in watching telly a day into some unknown event?

No plod, cars stuck all over the place some guy runs round the corner with a rucksack tired after running for hours. Let me think what wil happen next?

duh! tricky one that...............NOT!Big GrinBig Grin