Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hand driven Log Splitter
11 July 2013, 08:10,
RE: Hand driven Log Splitter
(11 July 2013, 05:42)Tigs Wrote: how about this http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/coop...dst07172i/

What worries me about these sort of things, is that in this advertisement, the log being split is a silver birch, one of the very easiest logs to split with an axe,... what would happen with a much denser, stringy type of wood?
A major part of survival is invisibility.
11 July 2013, 11:50,
they look pretty good, I'd be interested in hearing how it handles tougher wood. For the money though would you not be better off with a non powered hydraulic system. It would certainly be quieter and might be easier to use and maybe a bit safer for junior preppers. Might be what you're looking for but worth thinking about
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
11 July 2013, 12:12,
it claims to put 1 to 1 1/2 tonnes of pressure into splitting a log I thing it should be able to split hard wood logs
12 July 2013, 08:39,
you'd be surprised,

Mechanics have been using hardwood to protect sills and chassis for decades, you can jack up the back end of a forklift (on a sharp edge) and barely even dent the wood never mind split it.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
12 July 2013, 10:58,
yeah but you would be splitting a hard wood log down its natural weak point , into the grain not across it!
12 July 2013, 19:58,
ive recently been using a wood grenade which i got fromm screwfix it is quite easy to use and so far ive had no issues with it