Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE CASE FOR DIESEL ( Repost in response to SD comment)
19 June 2013, 20:07,
RE: THE CASE FOR DIESEL ( Repost in response to SD comment)
yep, those roads will completely dissolve in just a month or two without constant maintenance!

http://www.google.com/search?q=Roman+roa...42&bih=585

The asphalt lane in front of my house was paved in 1973 and has been patched once since I moved here 5 years ago. It even has some heavy truck traffic and has held together well. Under present use conditions modern asphalt motorways have a life expectancy of more than 10 years!

Concrete is rated for even longer!

Some of the concrete motorways, with the reduced traffic of a "new dark ages" transport flow, might last for 1,000 years.

At the end of that 1,000 years I might have to shift into 4wd and slow down for the potholes a bit.

With no where to go, no fuel to get you there and nothing to buy once you arrive, travel will take on a new dimension anyway.
20 June 2013, 09:19,
we see the state of the roads around here, many of which still haven't been repaired since the bad winter 2 years ago when we had the storms and snow and ice,full of potholes, what i'm saying is post shtf given 1 winter like that it wont take long for mother nature to reassert herself,there are roads near here which have fallen off into the rivers and without repair will be unusable, I am basing my plans on these facts and will act accordingly, no amount of stored fuel will make these sorts of conditions usable, that's all i'm saying.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 June 2013, 09:24,
and that is what we all do. Base our preps around our own requirements. You can't rely on the roads, some of us can although fuel will be the main issue. It takes a lot of crop to produce a litre of rape oil.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 June 2013, 09:29, (This post was last modified: 20 June 2013, 09:56 by bigpaul.)
yes ground which would probably be better used to produce food.

just a thought, not a dig at anyone, but given lets say TS HAS HTF, all the shops have been stripped, looted and set fire to, anyone who wants to bug out has done so, and everyone else is bugged in, the sheeple are rioting and dying of starvation in their hundreds, no help is coming from government, even if the roads are usable(which I don't think they will be), my question is: you have your fuel, where do you think your all going???Big Grin

the answer to that question has always puzzled me!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 June 2013, 10:20,
If I had the fuel in that situation, then I would mainly use it to do reconnaissance, certainly in this area where communication would be at their worst, it would really be the only way of finding out what is going on LOCALLY

... but also for a generator if possible, so the fuel consumption of a car might not be a good idea,..personally I would use a quad bike where I could get three times the mileage of a car.

.... but I doubt fuel would last long, even if you were equipped with pumps and abandoned cars
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 June 2013, 10:30, (This post was last modified: 20 June 2013, 10:32 by Tartar Horde.)
For people living in the sticks the most sensible option post SHTF would be to get Horses, and or learn to ride and tack them up. The fuel would run out pretty quickly I reckon, and what was left would be very well guarded. A good Horse can go anywhere, has permanent four wheel drive and runs on grass. And if it breaks down you can eat it.

Another plus with Horses is that you don't have to use the road system, you can simply go across country avoiding conflict that you are bound to get regarding road blocks and attacks on vehicles etc.
20 June 2013, 10:33,
Smile we have a horse sanctuary just down the road, all saved from the meat market, I am sure we could manage something with those.

The only problem with a horse is it becomes another target
20 June 2013, 10:36,
(20 June 2013, 10:33)Highlander Wrote: Smile we have a horse sanctuary just down the road, all saved from the meat market, I am sure we could manage something with those.

In what sense Highlander? let us know your thoughtsBig Grin
20 June 2013, 10:40,
(20 June 2013, 10:36)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(20 June 2013, 10:33)Highlander Wrote: Smile we have a horse sanctuary just down the road, all saved from the meat market, I am sure we could manage something with those.

In what sense Highlander? let us know your thoughtsBig Grin

Well there is a lot of meat on a horse, prepers will see the use for owning a horse and putting it to use, most other people will see the beast as dinner
20 June 2013, 10:42, (This post was last modified: 20 June 2013, 10:44 by bigpaul.)
WHAT? after all the horse meat scandal? do you really think so?Tongue

in my area I have access to a minimum of 50 horses, ponies and donkeys in my immediate area post shtf!Big Grin