Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Long Do You Need To Boil Water?
30 November 2011, 17:55,
RE: How Long Do You Need To Boil Water?
(30 November 2011, 17:30)JD1 Wrote: "Berkey" and "British Berkefeld" are two seperate companies despite what is written in some places, and the names are often used interchangeably. I know the candles that were supplied with my BB were made by Fairey Ceramics (who are part of British Berkefeld/Doulton), were those the same people who manufactured the candles in the US that had the problems ?

This is the unit I bought from UK company they imported as this is the USA type, it is one of the back ups.

[Image: BerkeyLight.Waterfall.jpg]

This is the one we use daily

[Image: doulton-british-berkefeld-gravity-filter-.jpg]

I think the bad batch is from the black berkey?

30 November 2011, 18:06, (This post was last modified: 30 November 2011, 18:22 by JD1.)
RE: How Long Do You Need To Boil Water?
I looked at getting the "Black Berkey" before I settled on the "British Berkefeld SS2, similar to the your bottom pic. The only difference between the SS2 and the SS4 is the number of candles it is supplied with, the fittings are in the SS2 to add another 2 candles if you wanted to.

The reason I pointed out that they are 2 seperate companies is that someone was once conviced they were both the same company and wouldn't buy a "British Berkefeld" because she said that Donald Rumsfeld was a large share holder. In the end I had to post a copy of an email I received from "Berkey" stating that they were 2 completely seperate companies with no links at all. I still dont think she believed me though Rolleyes
Just had a look on Fariey ceramics site at the FAQ and it looks like the British Berkefeld candles will be ok

Frome here http://www.faireyceramics.com/frequently...tml#what26

Quote:Q26) Does FICL manufacture the Berkey filter range including the Black Berkey filter element?
A26) British Berkefeld is an FICL trademark. Berkey is not an FICL trademark. FICL manufactures all British Berkefeld branded filter products. FICL manufactures some British Berkefeld branded Super Sterasyl grade ceramic filter candles which are used inside certain Berkey filter systems. FICL is not involved in the manufacture of Black Berkey filter elements or any other Berkey branded filter products

It might be worth checking your Black Berkey candles but your other one should be ok