Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nutria / Coypu after TSHTF
20 June 2013, 11:45,
Nutria / Coypu after TSHTF
Just watched a fascinating documentary on these truly giant rodents that in the UK / EU are called Coypu, and in the US/ Canada are called Nutria.

These beasties if left unchecked are an absolutely devastating pest if they get established, they have all the odious and unpleasant aspects of other rodents like rats, but on a huge scale with the added concern in areas they feel "settled" they will very often attack humans who enter their territory.

In the UK they were THOUGHT to be eradicated about 25 years ago, but their have been documented sightings including a case reported in the MSM of GIANT RATS with orange teeth in Co Durham.

I think this is an issue of note to be added to our potential risks for after the collapse because their breeding habits can see a tiny colony soon number thousands in only a year or two, they ae only held in check by very cold winters and human control measures.

The Americans are somewhat alarmed because they have new colonies appearing over 200 miles from the last known and documented colonies which points to these aquatic buggers swimming over 200 miles. I raise this issue cos the buggers are all over Europe and the channel is only 22 miles wide.

These beasties are bigger than most Jack Russell terriers with teeth up to 6 inches long.

They were brought to the US and UK for breeding for their fur and pretty soon escaped they are causing chaos in the US and Europe and if they still exit in the UK then if TSHTF they are going to explode in numbers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coypu

20 June 2013, 11:50,
RE: Nutria / Coypu after TSHTF
those things are VISCOUS, about on a par with mink...better watch out if you come across any of them.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 June 2013, 12:19,
I remember seeing these in Germany from our Army quarters of all places.

BP, I would say that these guys would be worse that Mink, we get a lot of Mink up here, and although they are destructive, they are not often seen, rats on the other hand have a lot less fear of man, so by definition a lot more dangerous
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 June 2013, 12:32,
coypu don't they carry the plague?
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
20 June 2013, 12:45,
(20 June 2013, 12:32)Barneyboy Wrote: coypu don't they carry the plague?

Mice, Rats, Squirrels, Bats, Copypu, Foxes, Badgers, Pigeon and any mammal that the particular type of flea can live on carries the risk of bubonic plague. Including poochykins and tiddles.

20 June 2013, 12:59,
wow, those are bloody terrifying! the rat traps I've got put away won't cut it with them, I think I'd need a rifle. Thanks for the info, I had no idea these were a threat. And to think I was worried about rats.
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
20 June 2013, 13:15,
After any major incident especially if public health facilities fail their is always a huge surge in the number of parasitic pests such as Cockroaches, Fleas,Mice, Rats,Grey Squirrels, Pigeon, Feral Cats and Dogs etc, but its worse or compounded if you have the issue on a non indiginous species like coypu that have few if any predators., Coypu can breed from 6 months old, they can have up to 12 young and they can in some climates breed four times a year, do the math and cringe. Personally I dont think I would go near one with an Air Rifle, you need a bow at least.

20 June 2013, 14:23,
I don't think they'll reach huge numbers, because:

" Nutria is a very lean, fibrous, protein-rich meat; in certain ways it is much better than beef, chicken and turkey for the human body. It is low in fat and cholesterol with the taste, texture, and appearance of rabbit or dark turkey meat according to a study published in the Journal of Food Science.[22] This same study tested the meat, before and after processing, and came to the conclusion that it is in fact safe for human consumption. "
20 June 2013, 14:26,
Good point steve, and valid , I'll add this caveat though

In addition to direct environmental damage, coypu are the host for a nematode parasite (Strongyloides myopotami) that can infect the skin of humans causing dermatitis similar to strongyloidiasis.[28] The condition is also called "nutria itch".[29]

20 June 2013, 16:27,
And we've been complaining about the wild pigs here in Texas... I wonder, when the giant rats meet the wild pigs, who will end up as dinner for whom?
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!