Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Care to do the maths?, Take away the gas, leccy and coal.............................
22 June 2013, 09:40,
care to do the math?
what is needed is a change in lifestyle but more than that, a different sort of thinking. if your going to buy a new stove, don't buy one that ONLY heats wood OR coal buy a MULTI fuel one, and buy one not just for heating make sure you can cook of it too. if its cold put some extra blankets or an extra duvet on the bed, if its cold wear a jumper, or a cardigan, a fleece or a padded shirt, in an emergency heat ONE room and live in that(wherever your multi fuel stove is-hint).these are things that happened when I was a child, it was considered to be common sense back then, a part of normal life but I suppose we do live in an age of central heating now and people have got out of the habit.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 June 2013, 10:33,
RE: Care to do the maths?..........
I never thought of Charcoal,.. [ well I did a few moments ago, then read NRs post,..damn..Smile ],... how do you find that, it must be a much cheaper fuel, burns slowly, and hotter,.... do you burn it with anything else, or on its own?.
A major part of survival is invisibility.
22 June 2013, 11:18,
RE: Care to do the maths?, Take away the gas, leccy and coal.........
Agreed BP - I remember as a kid not having central heating in the bedrooms - frozen condensation on the inside of the windows in winter, hot water bottles, extra blankets and tucked up nice and warm in bed at night! Lounge always warm though but we still wore jumpers etc.

I guess that after SHTF we will go back the same way really!
22 June 2013, 11:24,
(22 June 2013, 11:18)Arnie72 Wrote: Agreed BP - I remember as a kid not having central heating in the bedrooms - frozen condensation on the inside of the windows in winter, hot water bottles, extra blankets and tucked up nice and warm in bed at night! Lounge always warm though but we still wore jumpers etc.

I didn't have central heating until 1999! brought up in a house that ONLY had a fire in the living room, all the bedrooms had NO heating at all, hot water bottles and extra blankets were the order of the day.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 June 2013, 11:44,
(22 June 2013, 11:18)Arnie72 Wrote: Agreed BP - I remember as a kid not having central heating in the bedrooms - frozen condensation on the inside of the windows in winter, hot water bottles, extra blankets and tucked up nice and warm in bed at night! Lounge always warm though but we still wore jumpers etc.

Dunno bout that Arnie, todays houses are generally much less draughty, much better insulated and usually double glazed, I think sweaters and fleeces are likely to come back but I dont think the frozen windows or ice in the loo is likely to come back.

22 June 2013, 11:52,

jeez Arnie....you musta been freezing growing up in those winters mate.....what part of Austria did u live in ? Wink
22 June 2013, 12:08,
RE: Care to do the maths?, Take away the gas, leccy and coal.............
In the mountains.....Smile

Nah just Leicesterstan but as our house didn't have central heating, double glazing or insulation when I was a nipper it got cold in winter......

Agreed NR houses are better insulated now but if it gets to sub zero temperatures and no heating it'll still be ruddy cold - oh and if the SHTF my family might have an icy loo and freezing bum cos due to the sewerage probably being stuffed the loo will be outside - ooh I am evil sometimes I know!
22 June 2013, 12:52,
RE: Care to do the maths?,
If you are going to buy a wood/multi burner stove be very careful what you buy. Cheapest is probably not the best option, and that bargain you spotted may not be what it seems. You need to make sure that the gauge of metal is good enough for what you intend to do with the stove.

A friend of mine bought himself a nice little bargain stove (idiot!) It wasn't until the chimney pipe actually glowed red with heat that he realised it wasn't such a bargain.

Buyer be aware!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
22 June 2013, 12:56,
RE: Care to do the maths?, Take away the gas, leccy and coal..
IIRC there are three basic types of stove, heavy cast iron thick wall ( the top plate is at least an inch thick) Heavy cast iron thin wall (CI under an inch thick and mild steel sheet stoves. The heavy cast iron ones last the longest, retain the heat more and dont suffer AS MUCH from burn though like the others can do, So i was told.

22 June 2013, 12:58,
(22 June 2013, 11:44)NorthernRaider Wrote:

Dunno bout that Arnie, todays houses are generally much less draughty, much better insulated and usually double glazed, I think sweaters and fleeces are likely to come back but I dont think the frozen windows or ice in the loo is likely to come back.

granted, but modern houses are less well made than those of the 50s, you can actually put your hand IN our cavity wall from the outside, any room that isn't heated is bound to get condensation which COULD frreze in cold weather.