Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MERS Virus?
21 June 2013, 20:41,
RE: MERS Virus?
Must be using some sort of computer script or system that is unrecognised by the forum systems??, or they are trying to install something !!!!

21 June 2013, 21:33,
When they say that the MERS virus spreads through contact from person to person, does anyone know if its my touch or is airborne?,... I think that we can only take precautions if we know how it travels.

I have read a few pieces on this, and no-where can I find the answer to that question
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 June 2013, 13:29,
MERS is a very real risk that has the potential to hit this country & Europe as people return from Haj this Oct. MERS has been contained so far, it is not as easily spread as SARS, but has a higher mortality rate-Cira 60% as oppsed to SARS and Swine Flu Cira 20%. Optimal envirnmental conditions for MERS to spread are cold, damp, moist weather just as would expect around October. MERS has already killed two people out of three infected in the UK. I would urge people to do a little reseach. I posted two infomative sections here yesterday, but they were taken down within 10 mins????
27 June 2013, 14:37,
(21 June 2013, 21:33)Highlander Wrote: When they say that the MERS virus spreads through contact from person to person, does anyone know if its my touch or is airborne?,... I think that we can only take precautions if we know how it travels.

I have read a few pieces on this, and no-where can I find the answer to that question

The most informative I've seen HL, is the Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East...oronavirus

It doesn't contain all that much on the true source, transmission or treatment but that's probably because, as I understand it, not that much is known about them yet...

27 June 2013, 14:56,
(27 June 2013, 13:29)Oggydoggy100 Wrote: I posted two infomative sections here yesterday, but they were taken down within 10 mins????

I wonder why???
27 June 2013, 15:52,
(27 June 2013, 14:56)Highlander Wrote:
(27 June 2013, 13:29)Oggydoggy100 Wrote: I posted two infomative sections here yesterday, but they were taken down within 10 mins????

I wonder why???

I think SD's the one best placed to answer that but I 'm sure it was mostly political posts and news items that he objected to.

I believe it's okay to discuss actions we might take to mitigate any risk presented in such an item, talking about any prepping to be done but not just posting the items themselves - at least, that's my understanding...

27 June 2013, 16:32, (This post was last modified: 27 June 2013, 16:34 by Highlander.)
I must admit, I would still like to know if it is passed on my touch or is airborne.... looking at masks/respirators for instance, the N95 masks from the US seem to be the best, but would they be good enough I wonder

The [N95] 1870 masks are better than the [N95] 1860, but are very expensive and hard to get
27 June 2013, 17:00,
(27 June 2013, 16:32)Highlander Wrote: I must admit, I would still like to know if it is passed on my touch or is airborne.... looking at masks/respirators for instance, the N95 masks from the US seem to be the best, but would they be good enough I wonder

The [N95] 1870 masks are better than the [N95] 1860, but are very expensive and hard to get

I don't think anyone really knows the transmission method yet HL, although I read of at least one case where it was caught by someone in the same hospital as the original patient but in a completely different ward.

We'll just have to keep ears to the ground until the WHO discovers something definite and hope they do it before any major epidemic...

28 June 2013, 08:45,
(27 June 2013, 17:00)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(27 June 2013, 16:32)Highlander Wrote: I must admit, I would still like to know if it is passed on my touch or is airborne.... looking at masks/respirators for instance, the N95 masks from the US seem to be the best, but would they be good enough I wonder

I don't think anyone really knows the transmission method yet HL, although I read of at least one case where it was caught by someone in the same hospital as the original patient but in a completely different ward.

We'll just have to keep ears to the ground until the WHO discovers something definite and hope they do it before any major epidemic...

Medical authorities in Saudi Arabia are racing against the clock to implement measures to control the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) into a feared, potential pandemic in light of the forthcoming annual Mecca Hajj pilgrimage season on October 13-18.

Millions of Muslims around the world go to Makkah, Saudi Arabia, for their annual recurring pilgrimage or Hajj. Considered one of the five pillars of Islam, Muslims who are able-bodied and financially capable are required to make the Hajj pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime. The Hajj is the Muslim people's demonstration of solidarity as well as submission to Allah, their known god.

This year, Saudi Arabia expects around 10.OOO Muslim pilgrims from the UK alone to go to Mecca, according to Foad Aodi, president of the association of foreign doctors in Europe (AMSE) and Comai, which represents the Arab world in Italy.

Worldwide, at least 3 million ethnically diverse Muslims converge in Mecca every year to observe the Hajj pilgrimage.

"The most worrying aspect is that we still haven't identified the means of contagion of the virus and we have serious fears about the next haj that will bring millions of Muslims from around the world to Mecca the most holy place in Islam in October," Mr Aodi said.

Victims from the new SARS-like virus have reached 30 worldwide, where 24 of those deaths came from Saudi Arabia.

Another 39 new cases have been confirmed while another 1,300 suspected cases are being monitored.

However, Mr Aodi fears a potential spread could start as early as August, which marks the end of Eid-al-Fitr or the end of Ramadan, a holiday to mark the end of the Islamic month of Ramadan when Muslims fast during the hours of daylight. During this time, Muslims hold a feast including slaughtering an animal that is shared among the poorest families in the Arab world.

The Mecca Hajj pilgrimage season would be a perfect breeding ground for the infectious and deadly MERS-CoV to further spread since the Muslim people will converge in tight spaces over a span of several weeks. And when they return home, they also bring with them any potential virus they contracted.
4 July 2013, 23:07,
UK Death 4th July

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23179564

The thoughts about the Haj fills me with alarm and despondency.