Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This years tomatoes
11 July 2013, 16:03,
RE: This years tomatoes
My toms are doing nicely on the homebrewed sheepshit, but some of the butternut squash are rotting on the plant.
11 July 2013, 17:32,
got some toms about the size of a grape. just toped them ,and still side shooting got the tom blight last year killed all my plants .been told that bayer garden fruit and vegetable disease control works
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
11 July 2013, 22:44, (This post was last modified: 11 July 2013, 22:49 by Rush2112.)
(11 July 2013, 14:09)NorthernRaider Wrote: I've got loads of decent sized Cherry tomatoes on various vines but all are going black and mouldy before they reach maturing. I think I may have overwatered them?

NR, sorry to hear that the tomato problems continue. I researched it a bit for you.
Most of the articles state likely cause of fruit rot is calcium deficiency. application of lime, calcium or liquid fertilizer with calcium nitrate should fix the issue.
My hunch is that it's more of a disease issue, probably a fungus, especially since you think maybe the plants got too much water. Maybe this will help:

"Anthracnose is a very common fungus that causes tomato fruit to rot. Symptoms: Small, round, sunken spots appear on the fruit. The spots will increase in size and darken in the center. Several spots may merge as they enlarge. The fungus is often splashed onto the fruit from the soil. It can also take hold on Early Blight spots or dying leaves. Wet weather encourages the development of Anthracnose. Overripe tomatoes that come in contact with wet soil are especially susceptible. Management: Copper sprays offer some resistance. Remove the lower 12" of leaves, to avoid contact with the soil. Don't water the leaves, just the base of the plant."*

I wish you luck, hopefully not too late to save the season and at least get a few nice tomatoes. It really sucks to put all that work in and not get any results.

*The above info about the fungus was pulled from:
http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetablep...lems_2.htm

we had some nice sweet corn growing last season and lost ALL of it to insects before ripening.
11 September 2013, 01:00,
well my toms are just about done for this year ,the seeds i kept from lasts years crop came through but only grew one tom wich is still green iv kept 5 toms for next years seeds and hope they do better .
this years crop was just ok i hope for better next .
Survive the jive (youtube )
11 September 2013, 20:10,
Tomatoes seem to have been effected heavily somehow this year from poor cropping to late blooming or indeed none at all, there are 12 allotments where mine is and so far everyone's tomatoes aren't doing well and as you can imagine everyone does it different, but other seems to have worked this year
11 September 2013, 21:49,
well my toms are shit this year....the good news is my cucs are brill and cropping heavy. Note to NR with what you, describe you are watering to much in 1 hit .....water a little and often , when toms form remove leaves from the bottom and work up to get plenty of air and ventilation.
12 September 2013, 20:18,
Ooops! Going to buck the trend here. My toms are fantastic this year. I've had a really heavy crop of three different types. Loads of salads and plenty of puree in the freezer.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
12 September 2013, 20:52,
mary we all hate you.......lol
1 October 2013, 12:31,
iv cut and spread my saved for seeds toms on a sheet of paper its dryed off and i can see the seeds , once iv picked them out .
how best to store
Survive the jive (youtube )
1 October 2013, 17:15,
(1 October 2013, 12:31)Sunna Wrote: iv cut and spread my saved for seeds toms on a sheet of paper its dryed off and i can see the seeds , once iv picked them out .
how best to store

Your previous post stated that your toms were not doing well!

If your tomatoes did not produce well do not make the effort of saving and planting defective seed!

Order a fresh batch from a heritage seed producer and start over.

The seed I saved was from the biggest, juiciest tomato, off the healthiest plant in my garden. The tom was nearly 6" in diameter and the plant was 5" tall. That plant produced 20-25 tomatoes through the late summer and still has a half dozen ripening here at the first of October.

I am expecting the same from every sprout taken off that plant next season.

The puny, feeble ones are already gone and in the compost heap.