Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock Climbing / Abeiling in NE
23 June 2013, 13:13,
RE: Rock Climbing / Abeiling in NE
(23 June 2013, 13:00)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(23 June 2013, 12:55)RoadWarrior Wrote: cud come in v handy for building a hideout up in the trees ...I mean wayup too .....or even a shooting platform to sit and wait for the odd deer to pass by !!... but like I said im mega scared of heights. Sad

I'm definately no expert on hunting deer with bows but nearly everything I have read or seen on You Tube about American deer hunting with bows has as you rightly point out has them hiding on shooting platforms up trees over the deers migratory routes.
no NR we aren't ......YET !Wink
23 June 2013, 14:33,
I think its utterly vital to pass on as many skills to our kids as well and our budgets can. NR Junior will do the rope stuff in Edinburgh under the supervision of my Bro In Law a mountaineering instructor, I also hope that perhaps we could go as a family to one of those Corporate entertainment places here in Co Durham and him and his mum could learn a bit of shotgunning on their clay pigeon ranges, I reckon a half day would be a decent taster. his uncle is going to teach him how to fish using a rod / reeel and line. I'll teach him archery and SAA. I think his school is doing a first aid course in September and i would like to see him do another hour or so on a horse. That just leaves canoeing and sailing for next year and I think you can do that on some of the local reserviors. The growing your own food is proving to be a bit of a cockup though, none of us are any good at that. I'll also do basic vehicle maintenance with him.

Teach the kids whilst we have time ??? Yes ? No ?
23 June 2013, 16:42, (This post was last modified: 23 June 2013, 16:43 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
Yes - definitely!

For me though, it's working out how to interest my granddaughters...

23 June 2013, 18:22,
If my survival depends on me climbing I am screwed, my legs start shaking on a step ladder. I had the opportunity many years ago as a cadet to learn abseiling and I totally bottled it, i couldn't step over the edge.
23 June 2013, 18:34,
Never felt comftable at heights but always wanted to try rockclimbing. Nr theres quite a few climbing walls dotted about the north east
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
24 June 2013, 07:21,
I love rock climbing and abseiling. Nothing like hanging in thin area with nothing but a rope to support you - then speed descent. Whoop! Love it!
24 June 2013, 11:10,
(23 June 2013, 11:47)Skean Dhude Wrote: Scythe,

There are many reasons for climbing before and after an event so it is certainly not a bullshit idea. Like everything else you need to learn while it is safe. Wasn't that your reasoning for trying to saw wood left handed?

Personally, I think it is a good recommendation.

I'm all for learning to do it. I've got my own gear and the wife and I pop down Exeter or Bristol and climb now and again. I'm just saying, post SHTF, I'll be avoiding climbing unless my life depends on it!!!

Abseiling makes a lot of sense. That can, and does, save lives. But climbing, and I'm not talking like up a small building like 2 or 3 stories, I'm talking rock face, not scrambling style, is something that is a risk beyond what is wise. Pre-SHTF, yeah, go for it. It's awesome! Traverse loads at the end of every session to get your grip strength and stamina as high as possible, and finish on finger board chin-ups for pull strength (even though a good climber puts most of the effort into their legs).

Post-SHTF, unnecessary risk...in my opinion.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin