Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bow owners quick question
25 June 2013, 09:21, (This post was last modified: 25 June 2013, 09:22 by Arnie72.)
RE: Bow owners quick question
Personally for me it is still about hunting post SHTF for food for my family.

I wouldn't opt for the shotgun if I had the choice I would opt for a compound bow due to being quiet (if hunting rabbits better chance of getting multiple in one stalk than a shotgun which would more guarantee a hit for me but would make the others go to ground) and reusable ammunition.

Having said that a shotgun is also useful for predators (packs of dogs etc)

But at present I have my take-down recurve which I am improving with and when I can afford it I would go for a compound or maybe even a crossbow too if funds allow.
25 June 2013, 09:25,
Most off the shelf bows use a 28 inch draw length, as this is the most common length for the majority of adult men. Nearly all of these bows are "tillered" so that if you have a longer draw length they will still be safe to pull further than the stated 28 inches. The tip to tip length of a bow has nothing to do with the length of Arrow you can shoot from it, it is purely a matter of "Tillering" the bow to shoot a longer Arrow. This is why those little Korean and Asian bows can draw Arrows of 30 inches and more, and are drawn back past the Ear. Check out the bows from this site and you will see what I mean. Some smaller bows have longer draw lengths than longer ones.
http://www.grozerarchery.com/index_b.htm
25 June 2013, 09:30,
Agreed but for clarification the bow lengths I stated were purely for the take-down recurve bows as the lengths of bow are designed specifically for the length of arrow. It was not meant as a guide for all types of bow. Sorry if my post wasn't clear enough! Smile
25 June 2013, 09:42,
(25 June 2013, 09:30)Arnie72 Wrote: Agreed but for clarification the bow lengths I stated were purely for the take-down recurve bows as the lengths of bow are designed specifically for the length of arrow. It was not meant as a guide for all types of bow. Sorry if my post wasn't clear enough! Smile
No I understand exactly what you mean and you are right regarding those TD's, I would always try to match the draw length to a bow designed to shoot that length of Arrow.
25 June 2013, 10:26, (This post was last modified: 25 June 2013, 10:32 by NorthernRaider.)
(25 June 2013, 09:06)Steve Wrote:
(25 June 2013, 08:49)NorthernRaider Wrote: They make to much noise for me, every time I fire i would be telling everyone for miles where I am.

Get one with a silencer.

No thanks Smile, As I have explained before I dont want anything that puts me on anyone official radar, Besides even the ancient pedrettii silenced .410 I had years ago still made enough noise to be unwanted after TSHTF. Some of the guys on here are happy to go the Fire Arms round and some are not, I choose the latter option. In this part of Co Durham theres loads of folks who go hunting, poaching, rabbiting, lamping, snareing etc and blasting off a shotgun or rifle is just going to advertise there are others in the area, that is something I want to avoid. But other folks in other areas have different priorities and needs and they are quite happy with a fire arm.

(25 June 2013, 10:26)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(25 June 2013, 09:06)Steve Wrote:
(25 June 2013, 08:49)NorthernRaider Wrote: They make to much noise for me, every time I fire i would be telling everyone for miles where I am.

Get one with a silencer.

No thanks Smile, As I have explained before I dont want anything that puts me on anyone official radar, Besides even the ancient pedrettii silenced .410 I had years ago still made enough noise to be unwanted after TSHTF. Some of the guys on here are happy to go the Fire Arms round and some are not, I choose the latter option. In this part of Co Durham theres loads of folks who go hunting, poaching, rabbiting, lamping, snareing etc and blasting off a shotgun or rifle is just going to advertise there are others in the area, that is something I want to avoid. But other folks in other areas have different priorities and needs and they are quite happy with a fire arm.

FYI SD hold an opinion in agreement with your viewpoint, indeed your side of the coin is probably the most popular. Horses for courses.