Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bow owners quick question
24 June 2013, 19:47,
RE: Bow owners quick question
I bet your Indian was part of the Umpa Lumpa tribe Smile

24 June 2013, 19:53,
Well they were horse soldiers so they might well have had a few Umpa Lumpa`s for all I know
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 June 2013, 19:54,
Well I've read about Horse Soldiers, Pony Soldiers and Buffalo soldiers but this lot must be Gopher soldiers Smile. Better get back on track before SD tells me off.

24 June 2013, 20:09,
http://plainsindianbows.com/
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 June 2013, 20:11,
(24 June 2013, 20:09)Highlander Wrote: http://plainsindianbows.com/

Absolutely fascinating and amazing, thanks for sharing.

24 June 2013, 20:26, (This post was last modified: 24 June 2013, 20:29 by Mortblanc.)
I LOVE IT!!!

That site and those bows are made by a Chickasaw tribe member!!!

That tribe was an eastern woodland tribe and never set foot onto the plains until after they had acquired rifles from the Europeans! They were one of the tribes forced to move to Oklahoma in 1938 from their home territory in Mississippi and Tennessee.

The only cultural connection that guy has to a "plains Indian bow" is the one between your credit card and his bank account!

That is about like buying a custom made English longbow from a Syrian refugee living in Poland!

Self bows as would be made by a survival oriented person have a different set of measurements to use as a guide. When making a self bow one measures the LOP, then doubles that for the length of the bow. A longer bow is better and will be less likely to shatter under use. A shorter bow will be in a condition of "overdraw", which stresses the bow and string.

Our use of artificial materials for bows has erased this information from the collective memory. Fiberglass can be overdrawn with no concern for the integrity of the structure.

NR I think you are putting too much emphasis on short bows for use in cramped quarters. SHTF you will not be operating out of your vehicle. If a bow is too big for use inside your house,,, move some furniture.

Excuse me but in the above post I stated 1938 when it should be 1838 as the date of removal.
24 June 2013, 22:43,
(24 June 2013, 20:26)Mortblanc Wrote: SHTF you will not be operating out of your vehicle. If a bow is too big for use inside your house,,, move some furniture.

Or do the smart thing - get a shotgun.
25 June 2013, 08:49, (This post was last modified: 25 June 2013, 08:52 by NorthernRaider.)
(24 June 2013, 22:43)Steve Wrote:
(24 June 2013, 20:26)Mortblanc Wrote: SHTF you will not be operating out of your vehicle. If a bow is too big for use inside your house,,, move some furniture.

Or do the smart thing - get a shotgun.

They make to much noise for me, every time I fire i would be telling everyone for miles where I am.

You cannot possibly know that as a fact, indeed in this rural area after TSHTF using abandoned cars, vans and trucks as hides is likely to be common, even more so in cities.

I'll wager you have never tried to move around inside any home in the dark with a 6ft long bow, I have and it hit everything including light fighting and again it made noise that loses you the tactical advantage.

25 June 2013, 09:06,
(25 June 2013, 08:49)NorthernRaider Wrote: They make to much noise for me, every time I fire i would be telling everyone for miles where I am.

Get one with a silencer.
25 June 2013, 09:08,
(25 June 2013, 09:06)Steve Wrote:
(25 June 2013, 08:49)NorthernRaider Wrote: They make to much noise for me, every time I fire i would be telling everyone for miles where I am.
Get one with a silencer.

I'm just impressed with his ability to be able to pinpoint an explosion sound! That's damn impressive! A general direction, I can understand, but people will not know how far away the sound was, and they're very unlikely to think "Wow an explosion, sounded like a gun, I really want to find out how much that's going to hurt when he shoots me, let's go have a look!"

Shotgun is a blatant logical option.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin