Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resealable retail food packages
24 June 2013, 11:22,
Resealable retail food packages
I like this trend that is devoping in the food markey for resealable packets and tubs, this is a damn useful step at reducing wastage of food for preppers after TSHTF when we cannot afford the luxury of discarding uneaten food.
Spam is to be now marketed in resealable plastic containers thus greatly extending its usuable shelf life, I definately hope to see basic essentials such as Corned Beef, Bacon Grill, Tinned Ham and the assorted tinned veg is treated the same. And hopefully the new packaging will be of sufficient decent reusuable quality after cleaning.

Indeed if the new tubs are of decent quality we can perhaps use them to store our own garden produce in as well??

Mrs NR is already recycling those mini glass jars used to hold jam and preserves in business hotels into tubs to store her home made toothpaste in !!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ridge.html

24 June 2013, 23:32,
RE: Resealable retail food packages
Any ideas what the storage times will be like with plastic? Obviously tinned stays "forever", not too sure about plastic though.
24 June 2013, 23:37,
Tin doesn't last forever, it has specific weaknesses. Plastic will be similar however some of tind weaknesses are not in plastic so they will complement each other. just keep them out of the light.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 June 2013, 10:51,
i turn crisp bags (and the multipack bags) inside out and steam them for critters and anything else that may be in there....

then turn them right way round and use them as" Poor Mans Mylar"

they can be put thro the heat sealer and vaccy packed so there as good as new...Tongue

Alterego
26 June 2013, 11:00,
Bloody hell what a superb tip.

26 June 2013, 11:41,
good old fashioned Tuppperware or similar Lock and Lock products from lakeland may be priceier than other items but 1 or 2 items a month soon build up into a decent vermin and airtight storage cache
26 June 2013, 13:10,
we reuse old marg and yoghurt tubs...you can put anything in them from corned beef, any meat, cooked sausages etc, also use them in the garage for nails, screws etc.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 June 2013, 21:40,
(26 June 2013, 10:51)Alterego Wrote: i turn crisp bags (and the multipack bags) inside out and steam them for critters and anything else that may be in there....

then turn them right way round and use them as" Poor Mans Mylar"

they can be put thro the heat sealer and vaccy packed so there as good as new...Tongue

Alterego

I like this idea too,..thanks
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 June 2013, 08:07,
(26 June 2013, 10:51)Alterego Wrote: i turn crisp bags (and the multipack bags) inside out and steam them for critters and anything else that may be in there....

You said in another post that you put similar (I think) in a steamer. Is that the same for these? Do they take that kind of heat? If not, what do you do, if you don't mind me asking...

27 June 2013, 09:00,
(27 June 2013, 08:07)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:

You said in another post that you put similar (I think) in a steamer. Is that the same for these? Do they take that kind of heat? If not, what do you do, if you don't mind me asking...
its just a way of cleaning pre-use....warm soapy water is just as good ....

just setting out a good start as it were...

hope this helps...

Alterego