Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you CANNOT make your own arrows at home, how many?
24 June 2013, 13:12,
RE: If you CANNOT make your own arrows at home, how many?
(24 June 2013, 13:02)RoadWarrior Wrote: Ive only got 5.......Sad.....honest!

well its better than non pal ,that's five chances to fill you and yours belly
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
24 June 2013, 14:29,
(24 June 2013, 11:57)Scythe13 Wrote:
(24 June 2013, 11:37)Tartar Horde Wrote: I reckon that's a good estimate Highlander. I keep two dozen made up and around fifty bare shafts ready to be made as and when I lose or break them.

This may well be a stupid question, but other than storage space, I can't see why you wouldn't have the 50 shafts made up asap. Can you explain please?
ExactlyBig Grin I keep my made up shafts in an Arrow case, I don't have any more cases to put all of my arrows in if I made them all up. I don't like storing arrows without a case as I don't like the fletchings touching each other when they are in bunches for long term storage. So i only make enough to fill my arrow case. Two dozen has always been enough for me, but during the apocalypse I will make moreBig Grin
24 June 2013, 14:30,
As many as you can get,I need more bolts for the 175lb crossbow
What would be a good material to make your own with that would take the 175lb pressure
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
24 June 2013, 15:26,
(24 June 2013, 14:29)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(24 June 2013, 11:57)Scythe13 Wrote:
(24 June 2013, 11:37)Tartar Horde Wrote: I reckon that's a good estimate Highlander. I keep two dozen made up and around fifty bare shafts ready to be made as and when I lose or break them.
This may well be a stupid question, but other than storage space, I can't see why you wouldn't have the 50 shafts made up asap. Can you explain please?
ExactlyBig Grin I keep my made up shafts in an Arrow case, I don't have any more cases to put all of my arrows in if I made them all up. I don't like storing arrows without a case as I don't like the fletchings touching each other when they are in bunches for long term storage. So i only make enough to fill my arrow case. Two dozen has always been enough for me, but during the apocalypse I will make moreBig Grin

Okay, that makes sense.

Many archery clubs store practice arrows, point down, in sawn off sections of gutter tubing. It allows them to move around and not damage the fletchings, but also allows for easy arrow length selection. Larger clubs can just designate tubes for certain arrow lengths anyway.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 June 2013, 15:37,
Not sure how many you need, but what I do know is im amazed how many i'm getting through just for the fact i'm shooting in a woodland.

Between simply loosing arrows, tearing the flecthing off and bending the arrows, you can't have enough imo. Invest in a load of superglue and an arrow straightener and you will save 2/3rds of your compromised stock. Smile
24 June 2013, 15:46,
Make yourself an "Arrow Rake",
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0JmXngOgGw

this will save you a lot of time kicking leaves and stuff out the wayBig Grin
24 June 2013, 16:35,
(24 June 2013, 15:46)Tartar Horde Wrote: Make yourself an "Arrow Rake",
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0JmXngOgGw

this will save you a lot of time kicking leaves and stuff out the wayBig Grin

Thats a good idea, nice and simple
A major part of survival is invisibility.
25 June 2013, 09:32, (This post was last modified: 25 June 2013, 09:38 by Tartar Horde.)
This is one of the most useful tools for the field Archer, I hate loosing Arrows, especially after the amount of time it takes to make them.

(24 June 2013, 13:12)Barneyboy Wrote:
(24 June 2013, 13:02)RoadWarrior Wrote: Ive only got 5.......Sad.....honest!

well its better than non pal ,that's five chances to fill you and yours belly
Have you used those Goose Feathers yet Barnyboy?
25 June 2013, 11:04,
Here's a little tip for re-vitalising those tired looking fletchings. Boil a kettle and when it comes to the boil run the fletching along the steam coming out of the spout. The fletching will return to shape and any gaps should close up. try it out and see.