Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
invitation to visit my wooden house and learn stuff
26 June 2013, 21:02,
RE: invitation to visit my wooden house and learn stuff
(26 June 2013, 20:56)Highlander Wrote: Mortblanc,.... all you do is come across as very ill-informed, and full of guesses, how can you have any idea of what someone you dont know is doing or planing to do

ithink he was joking HLSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
26 June 2013, 21:34,
(26 June 2013, 21:02)Barneyboy Wrote:
(26 June 2013, 20:56)Highlander Wrote: Mortblanc,.... all you do is come across as very ill-informed, and full of guesses, how can you have any idea of what someone you dont know is doing or planing to do

ithink he was joking HLSmile

Well I would hope so,.. but a smilie wouldn't go a-miss just to confirm it, otherwise we dont know if its a joke or not
A major part of survival is invisibility.
26 June 2013, 22:43, (This post was last modified: 26 June 2013, 22:49 by Tarrel.)
As we stand here amidst the rubble of the financial crisis, with more shocks just over the horizon, we're going to have to come up with some alternatives to the "old" economy, which is clearly screwed. Maybe the "work, share and learn" approach that the OP suggests is one of them.

The planning system here is clearly not geared to encouraging self-reliance or home-steading. It's not as bad as some parts of the US, where you can't even hang your washing on the line, FFS. But it's bad enough and I can fully understand people trying to fly under the radar.

Hey Matt, cold comfort, I know, but you should have moved to the Highlands. You could have converted your woodland into a Woodland Croft. Still would have needed planning consent, but there is an implicit acceptance that crofters need to live on their land.

Matt, ever thought of making charcoal? Ben Law (the Channel 4 "Grand Designs" guy who built a roundwood-framed straw-bale house) battled with the planners for 10 years to get permission to build in his woods. He eventually won by pointing to his charcoal-making operation. His argument was that a charcoal-burn takes 36 hours, and needs to be supervised continually during that time. I've just finished his book; "The Woodland Way". Definitely worth a read.

Good luck.

Tarrel
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
27 June 2013, 13:15,
(26 June 2013, 22:43)Tarrel Wrote: As we stand here amidst the rubble of the financial crisis, with more shocks just over the horizon, we're going to have to come up with some alternatives to the "old" economy, which is clearly screwed. Maybe the "work, share and learn" approach that the OP suggests is one of them.

The planning system here is clearly not geared to encouraging self-reliance or home-steading. It's not as bad as some parts of the US, where you can't even hang your washing on the line, FFS. But it's bad enough and I can fully understand people trying to fly under the radar.

Hey Matt, cold comfort, I know, but you should have moved to the Highlands. You could have converted your woodland into a Woodland Croft. Still would have needed planning consent, but there is an implicit acceptance that crofters need to live on their land.

Matt, ever thought of making charcoal? Ben Law (the Channel 4 "Grand Designs" guy who built a roundwood-framed straw-bale house) battled with the planners for 10 years to get permission to build in his woods. He eventually won by pointing to his charcoal-making operation. His argument was that a charcoal-burn takes 36 hours, and needs to be supervised continually during that time. I've just finished his book; "The Woodland Way". Definitely worth a read.

Good luck.

Tarrel

I think what he needs are some animals to prove he needs to live there, he wont get PP without any. I think part of his problem is he is surrounded by very expensive letting property, its just down the road from me.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 June 2013, 16:40,
why cant we build homes on our own land...?

because the government wants us to pay mortgages to keep us in debit and subservient to the bankers[ROTHSCHILDS]
Survive the jive (youtube )