Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vinegar
27 June 2013, 10:47,
Vinegar
We use wine vinegar in a few dishes and for dressings etc and were looking at some in the local Asda, moaning (as you do) about the prices. Another shopper overheard us and commented that all you have to do is add some wine vinegar to a bottle of wine and the Vinegar will "inoculate" the wine "turning" it into vinegar.
I'm not sure if this will work though as I thought you had to "brew" vinegar. I thought I would run it past your bullshit detectors before I do some research online. I have access to a lot of fruit and being able to make wine vinegar from homebrew, SEEMS to be a good idea.
27 June 2013, 11:28,
RE: Vinegar
Its well worth a try though,.. we hate wine, so will try it out on a cheap bottle sometime
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 June 2013, 12:05,
I don't believe it will work TH, as to make wine to vinegar you need acetic acid bacteria. Most off the shelf vinegar have been sanitized after they reach a certain % acidity (5% usually) killing the bacteria inside. Also bear in mind that most vinegar these days are made by a chemical process so may not have had any of the wee bugs in them in the first place.

It's probably worth a try and I'd love to find out if it works but as you won't be able to guarantee the acidity I must stress that home made vinegar should be used as an ingredient in food and NEVER to preserve food. For the safety of your family you should only pickle with either brine (article on that this weekend) or with bought vinegar. If your vinegar has less than 5% acidity it will not kill of all the wee beasties inside the pickle jar.

But if you just want it to cook with and make salad dressings home made is fine and good fun to play with (especially if you get a mother in the jar).
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
28 June 2013, 07:05,
We make our own vinegar we got the basics from this site,
http://www.food-skills-for-self-sufficie...negar.html a completely different taste to commercial vinegars, a more natural taste.
Failure is NOT an option
28 June 2013, 07:18,
(28 June 2013, 07:05)uks Wrote: We make our own vinegar we got the basics from this site,
http://www.food-skills-for-self-sufficie...negar.html a completely different taste to commercial vinegars, a more natural taste.
It's funny how unreal most vinegars actually are.
Balsamic vinegar, for example is stored in decades in various types of barrel and sold in really small bottles! As you can guess, it sells for a hell of a lot more than off the shelf balsamics! The stuff off the shelves is just sweetened crap!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 June 2013, 10:37,
So! does Balsamic Vinegar have the little beasties that turn wine?