Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surgical sewing?
27 June 2013, 15:40,
RE: Surgical sewing?
(27 June 2013, 15:20)Skean Dhude Wrote: And if the situation was dire and death was certain I would have a go myself even if I didn't have the knowledge or experience. The chance it would work is smaller than if an expert did it but it would be better than nothing.

As I think we've both said before on a similar topic SD, so would I and in such a case, would improvise the kit if I didn't have it (bent sewing needle and antiseptic to pour over fishing line??).

In your case Mc, why not try for the knowledge from your vet relation and scrounge a set of kit while your at it?

27 June 2013, 15:44,
Might well do GG, although i'm trying to keep my prepper habits out of my main life. Is a bent needle and fishing line good enough as a subsitute? If so it's looking like my best option.
27 June 2013, 16:32, (This post was last modified: 27 June 2013, 16:35 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
(27 June 2013, 15:44)MCavity Wrote: Might well do GG, although i'm trying to keep my prepper habits out of my main life. Is a bent needle and fishing line good enough as a subsitute? If so it's looking like my best option.

Don't know to be honest - never stitched anybody up (at least, not in that way!! Big Grin) It's something I've seen done quite a few times but never tried my hand.

I don't see why not though - a bit like sewing a tear in a shirt - with the need for ultra-cleanliness (and a bit more tidiness Smile). As I said, with SD, I would do it if I felt I had to, experience or no, because I refuse to just let a loved one die without trying.

Watch this space though. Sooner or later, 'Jonas' or someone who does have the right experience will pick up on the thread and put us right...

I think there's more difficulty involved where a wound is a deep one. In such cases, there may be more to stitch than just surface tissue and there, I haven't got a clue...

27 June 2013, 16:36,
Anyone can learn to suture. Download Ethicon's Wound Closure Manual - the updated version of the one that I was given back in the 1960's here:
http://asaha.com/ebook/wMjg3NzA-/ETHICON...Manual.pdf

The real kicker here is "experience"... when to suture a wound? When to leave a wound open? When to put in a drainage tube? And the answers to those questions only come from seeing lots of wounds!
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
27 June 2013, 16:38,
(27 June 2013, 15:44)MCavity Wrote: Might well do GG, although i'm trying to keep my prepper habits out of my main life. Is a bent needle and fishing line good enough as a subsitute? If so it's looking like my best option.

I agree that should do the job ok,.. I notice from watching programs that they dont continue to sew as you would do a shirt though, but rather do one stitch then knot and tie off, before doing the next stitch and again knotting off

You would have to keep an eye on your handy work though as those stitches would have to be removed, so you wouldn't want the wound to close in over the stitches
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 June 2013, 16:50, (This post was last modified: 27 June 2013, 16:54 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
Sorry HL - I meant 'as easy as', sort of, not stitched in the same way...

Damn!! I have got one happy, happy head on today - wonder why?

27 June 2013, 17:40,
Well.......I personally probably have the most experience "suturing" wounds..as its called....closing open wounds/holes etc. I can recommend 1"/1.5" "C " shape needles....they are the best IMO for holding and threading....very sharp and go thro leather well too ! of which human skin is similar too . We used "barbour" make very fine waxed white cotton thread....but think it better (im guessing here) to use fine fishing line !that could be sterilised or wiped with surgical spirits , also can be knotted/threaded easy and most importantly removed from the area once its holding together on its own. my mate is putting afew to one side for me with some smaller "c" shaped ones ...often called "half moons"....theres also needles called "serpentines" which are "S" shaped and these are also very good to but IMO and for our needs im gonna be using "c" shaped ones.
27 June 2013, 18:23,
And here's an old "Civil War" substitute for suture thread:

Clip long hairs from a horse's tail (the horse shouldn't mind too much).
Cut hairs to an even length, tie the bundle of hairs with a string, and immerse in boiling water for 10 minutes.
Remove the hairs from the water and store in a bottle of alcohol until needed.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
27 June 2013, 19:05,
I wasn't being Boastful in my post.....so will explain myself to you all ...the experience I have is on deceased bodies...or cadavers to our cousins across the pond ! this was sewing up holes left by colostomy bags ,pacemakers,trachs(windpipe holes in throat),mouthes,abdominal wounds such as deep knife wounds or trocar/cavity fluid holes and neck incisions from embalming. Youd be very surprised at how tough flesh is !! and how quickly a needle will lose its sharpness....its certainly not as easy as it looks...like darning socks it isn't ....next time you buy some belly pork try pushing a normal needle thru that...the point shud be easy its pushing the rest of it thru that's the hardest..... anyway thought id share that with you .......also for the record ......"I never lost a single "patient" !! Big Grin
27 June 2013, 20:01,
don,t forget soper glue,i use it if one of my dogs cuts a pad,clean the wound first of course..my son fell and split his head open and that was glued together at a&e.