Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Affordable home alarm
28 June 2013, 18:07,
RE: Affordable home alarm
(28 June 2013, 18:04)El Barto Wrote: I'd rate all but a very few people's chances of survival living in the wild at more like a couple of weeks before they felt compelled to join whatever type of refugee camps the government has set up (if any).

EB....there is one golden rule of prepping: NEVER become a refugee!! disappear into one of those govt camps and you'll never be seen again.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 June 2013, 19:02,
Well BP you'd have to weigh up the options: starvation and exposure in the woods or murder' rape and cholera in the government camps. In a localised emergency though, you might well be better off in a refugee camp if there was some semblance of law an order.
Any fool can be uncomfortable.
28 June 2013, 20:08, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2013, 20:16 by bigpaul.)
(28 June 2013, 19:02)El Barto Wrote: Well BP you'd have to weigh up the options: starvation and exposure in the woods or murder' rape and cholera in the government camps. In a localised emergency though, you might well be better off in a refugee camp if there was some semblance of law an order.

I wouldn't bank on it...look what happened to those poor souls after Katrina in those camps.....no thanks, i'll take my chances in the countryside...I'm far better off on the outside.

I wish you the best of luck if that's the way you think, in a post collapse world I will be going NOWHERE near other people!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 June 2013, 22:07,
Nope....no camps for SS either .....not a bloody chance .....prob run into BP....with big white flag with SS in black paint printed on it.....don't fancy a broad head in the neck see!
29 June 2013, 08:46, (This post was last modified: 29 June 2013, 09:02 by bigpaul.)
(28 June 2013, 22:07)Straight Shooter Wrote: Nope....no camps for SS either .....not a bloody chance .....prob run into BP....with big white flag with SS in black paint printed on it.....don't fancy a broad head in the neck see!

nope SS you'll be ok, its STRANGERS i'll be shooting at!Big Grin

(i.e. I don't shoot at FRIENDS!Tongue)
8 August 2013, 09:39,
A whole GSM Wireless system for less than £20.oo maybe too good to be true?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170691123835?s...1439.l2649
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

8 August 2013, 10:38,
(28 June 2013, 18:04)El Barto Wrote: I'd rate all but a very few people's chances of survival living in the wild at more like a couple of weeks before they felt compelled to join whatever type of refugee camps the government has set up (if any).
in the summer they would probably be ok but come the first winter post event they'll start dropping like flies.
8 August 2013, 10:41,
(8 August 2013, 09:39)Lightspeed Wrote: A whole GSM Wireless system for less than £20.oo maybe too good to be true?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170691123835?s...1439.l2649

Answering self....

Actually not a GSM alarm, its connected to hard wired telephone cable.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

8 August 2013, 11:09,
I'm a security systems engineer by trade so anyone interested in burglar alarms or cctv I'll be happy to advise.

Re SHTF scenario, the grid would most likely go down, the burglar alarm main battery back up would last a few hours depending on how healthy the battery is (should theoretically last 8 hours with one activation) and then you're left with the bell box back up battery which should time out in 15 - 20 mins. That's it, one dead alarm system unless you have a power back up eg solar/wind -> battery bank -> inverter. With cctv and a DVR there's no back up battery built in so, again, if you have your own power supply, you're snookered.

Re wireless, I'd advise against it, they have a history of being problematic.
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
8 August 2013, 22:17,
(28 June 2013, 07:20)Lightspeed Wrote: The system we chose is used to secure and monitor our remote retreat. It is 12v powered and is controllable over a landline telephone connection and or GSM mobile phone, so remains operational in grid down conditions.

Telephone / Mobile control allows us the following remote operations from anywhere in the world:
  • Receive alert that alarm has gone off, including the trigger zone
  • Remote Arm / Disarm
  • Remote audio monitoring ( we can listen to hear if there is activity or fire in the property)
  • Full talk through, allowing us to talk into the property via a loudspeaker ( warnings etc)

The system is 12v powered so runs off-grid from our 12v PV system. It supports 99 separate alarm zones, both wireless and hard wired.

Nice one LS. Can you either possibly point me towards one on the web or suggest a kit list for me or OH to put it together?

Merci Buckets