Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossbow Advice
28 June 2013, 08:05,
Crossbow Advice
Hi
I am new to this forum, and am really pleased to find such a great site. Straight to the point, I am wanting to buy a crossbow, and don't know which one to buy ! So much choice, should it be recurve or compound etc. I have limited funds, (up to £100) and would like to get the best possible crossbow for the money I have. If there are models like £20 more that are far more superior for a small amount, that would be helpful to know which they are. The arrows or bolts, do you keep varying amounts of each with different tips if so what are they. I hope you see what I am saying, and would say that,if there is a thread that covers this already I do apologise, as I said at the begining, I am new to ALL of this.
Thanks
SC
28 June 2013, 08:40,
RE: Crossbow Advice
Hi SC, We will be delighted in helping you choose the bow best suited to your needs but first could I suggest you take a peek through the previous posts on Bows n sticks cos its not a huge section and there has been some good articles and reviews already done.
Then if that is no good tell us a bit more about yourself such as size, fitness etc and what role do you forsee for your bow.

Its a big expense and we dont want you wasting your money on stuff thats all bells n whistles but no real use to you.

28 June 2013, 09:26,
Morning SC,..... try this thread

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.p...=crossbows
A major part of survival is invisibility.
28 June 2013, 10:22,
I suppose it depends what you want it for? personally I think full size crossbows take too long and too much effort to recock to be anything but a 1 shot weapon, by the time you've recocked and reloaded the thing that deer you saw is long gone!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 June 2013, 11:19,
(28 June 2013, 10:22)bigpaul Wrote: I suppose it depends what you want it for? personally I think full size crossbows take too long and too much effort to recock to be anything but a 1 shot weapon, by the time you've recocked and reloaded the thing that deer you saw is long gone!

I must admit that for once I agree with BP.
Personally I find the Long Bow better, not only can you make them yourself and the arrows but they have a quicker repeat cycle.
You make a good bow from hornbeam.
Long bows are still legal in the UK though I have no doubt that if you carried it openly with out good cause you would get stopped by PC Plod.
28 June 2013, 11:26,
(28 June 2013, 11:19)John Wrote: I must admit that for once I agree with BP.
Personally I find the Long Bow better, not only can you make them yourself and the arrows but they have a quicker repeat cycle.
You make a good bow from hornbeam.
Long bows are still legal in the UK though I have no doubt that if you carried it openly with out good cause you would get stopped by PC Plod.

hunting with ANY bow is illegal at the moment, but post collapse all bets are off!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 June 2013, 13:56, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2013, 14:03 by SierraCharlie.)
(28 June 2013, 09:26)Highlander Wrote: Morning SC,..... try this thread

Thanks for the link I did find it helpful. Also I would like to thank all others who have answered. I have and long bow archery club less than a quarter of a mile away from where I

(28 June 2013, 13:56)SierraCharlie Wrote:
(28 June 2013, 09:26)Highlander Wrote: Morning SC,..... try this thread

Thanks for the link I did find it helpful. Also I would like to thank all others who have answered. I have and long bow archery club less than a quarter of a mile away from where I live and guess I will check those guys out and see what I can find out. As far as use goes, of course I realise hunting with a bow is illegal right now, however if what I envisage happening in the next 4 to 6 months comes to pass!!! well then chaos will b the order of the day, and all I can see is owing such a crossbow or infact any kind of bow, would have many uses under these extreme circumstances.
28 June 2013, 14:06,
(28 June 2013, 10:22)bigpaul Wrote: I suppose it depends what you want it for? personally I think full size crossbows take too long and too much effort to recock to be anything but a 1 shot weapon, by the time you've recocked and reloaded the thing that deer you saw is long gone!

I also must agree with BP on this point but not for the same reason or because another weapon will give any advantage.

In a hunting situation NO WEAPON will give you more than one EFFECTIVE shot at a deer.

In most cases a deer or any other critter, will be on the run after shot number one!

If the first shot does not alert them then/kill them you have all the time in the world for reloading.

This is true for crossbow, regular bow or firearm. You generally got only one shot at animals in the hunting field.

any follow up shot is usually a coup de grace and is administered on a downed animal from only a few inches distance.

(experience gained from a couple hundred kills. We hunt deer over here with everything from firearms to spears and some folk hunt wild boar with throwing knives [yes they are insane])
28 June 2013, 14:17,
(28 June 2013, 14:06)Mortblanc Wrote: some folk hunt wild boar with throwing knives [yes they are insane])

no commentBig GrinBig Grin
28 June 2013, 14:27,
Best advice I can give you on crossbows is not to get one too heavy for you cock easily. Some of the bigger ones can be real buggers to pull.