Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossbow Advice
28 June 2013, 19:52,
RE: Crossbow Advice
Thanks for all the interesting and varied responses. In particular to Montblanc, I found your post really informative, aswell as the fact you do actually hunt with a bow. When hunting do u use varying tips for differing target species ? if so which ones. I used to own a compound bow about ten years ago and the big prob with powerful bows or bows in general is you loose the bloody arrows real easy ! I shot quite well with a bow in those days to. So if the situation arises where we have to turn to the use of such weapons as bows for our primal source of attaining food well we all better become "robin hood" pretty damn quick lol As there wont be any just nipping down to the nearest supply store for more arrows.
28 June 2013, 20:04,
(28 June 2013, 19:52)SierraCharlie Wrote: Thanks for all the interesting and varied responses. In particular to Montblanc, I found your post really informative, aswell as the fact you do actually hunt with a bow. When hunting do u use varying tips for differing target species ? if so which ones. I used to own a compound bow about ten years ago and the big prob with powerful bows or bows in general is you loose the bloody arrows real easy ! I shot quite well with a bow in those days to. So if the situation arises where we have to turn to the use of such weapons as bows for our primal source of attaining food well we all better become "robin hood" pretty damn quick lol As there wont be any just nipping down to the nearest supply store for more arrows.

make your own arrows
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
28 June 2013, 20:09,
(28 June 2013, 20:04)Barneyboy Wrote:
(28 June 2013, 19:52)SierraCharlie Wrote: Thanks for all the interesting and varied responses. In particular to Montblanc, I found your post really informative, aswell as the fact you do actually hunt with a bow. When hunting do u use varying tips for differing target species ? if so which ones. I used to own a compound bow about ten years ago and the big prob with powerful bows or bows in general is you loose the bloody arrows real easy ! I shot quite well with a bow in those days to. So if the situation arises where we have to turn to the use of such weapons as bows for our primal source of attaining food well we all better become "robin hood" pretty damn quick lol As there wont be any just nipping down to the nearest supply store for more arrows.

make your own arrows

yup!!!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 June 2013, 23:52,
Well done guys for turning yet another decent thread into a talk about shooting chavs.

Keep it up and give the media the ammunition they need to use against us.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 June 2013, 03:11,

When hunting I use matching arrows with broad heads. When practicing I use field tips of matching weight. I make my own arrows using natural materials and scrap metal as much as possible for the very reasons you stated.

Losing arrows can be a problem, unless you hit what you are aiming at. That or you have a substantial backstop. At my previous home I had a kelvar backdrop, 10x10, that stopped anything I shot. Now I use simple hay bales due to having several 3d targets in the back yard and more targets than kelvar.

When hunting I aim and shoot and never worry about loss of the arrow. If I hit it did its job, if I miss I get it back or I don't. That is why most of the stone age arrowheads one finds are broken. They missed the target, broke the tip and discarded it.

As far as defense with the crossbow goes, that is way down my wish list right below use of the crapyist firearm I own.

My use of the crossbow, or any other bow or primitive weapon, is for sporting/recreational use and wilderness survival skill development.
29 June 2013, 08:53,
(28 June 2013, 23:52)Skean Dhude Wrote: Well done guys for turning yet another decent thread into a talk about shooting chavs.

Keep it up and give the media the ammunition they need to use against us.

that's funny cos we don't even call them chav's down here!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 June 2013, 14:58,
Lots of talk about hunting rabbits with pistol-bows and crossbows, but have any of you actually tried to get close enough to a rabbit to actually use one ? I don't mean actually shoot one, that's illegal, but have you tested your accuracy at a rabbit sized target and then stalked to within your effective range ? It's not as easy as you think, especially in open country, and in winter you are unlikely to even see one in daylight - can you fire your crossbow and hold a lamp ?

All in all, for rabbits, an air rifle is a much better idea.
29 June 2013, 15:37,
I agree with you Steve, but we were discussing the merits(or not) of crossbows NOT air rifles.
29 June 2013, 15:59,
(29 June 2013, 14:58)Steve Wrote: Lots of talk about hunting rabbits with pistol-bows and crossbows, but have any of you actually tried to get close enough to a rabbit to actually use one ? I don't mean actually shoot one, that's illegal, but have you tested your accuracy at a rabbit sized target and then stalked to within your effective range ? It's not as easy as you think, especially in open country, and in winter you are unlikely to even see one in daylight - can you fire your crossbow and hold a lamp ?

All in all, for rabbits, an air rifle is a much better idea.

if your up a tree or stand you can get away with a bit of noise and movement and one or two misses,the connies are not that interested what happens up in the air
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
29 June 2013, 17:06,
it wasn't just rabbits anyhow, there's squirrels-their crazy! pheasants-their just stupid..wont fly unless they absolutely HAVE to, wood pigeons, if it comes down to it post collapse I will eat pretty much any decent size bird that's flying around.