Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoe making
1 July 2013, 21:59,
RE: Shoe making
First of all you must realize that many of the things asked about here on the forum I already do on a regular basis.

Blacksmithing, leather tanning and leather working, making clothes from scratch, soap making, food preservation in the preindustrial era, heritage gardening, log and other primitive construction and about anything else you can imagine.

Here is a link to the site where I was camping and teaching on the 20-24 of June. Watch what is going on in the background shots as well as focusing on the Park Ranger that is talking.

We go into these places and live at the 18th Century level for weeks at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcolIfWr6t8
1 July 2013, 22:03,
I envy you, I would love to be involve it something like that
A major part of survival is invisibility.
1 July 2013, 22:06, (This post was last modified: 1 July 2013, 22:30 by Mortblanc.)
Everything these people had was usually made on the spot. They used a combination of European knowledge and primitive skills borrowed from the natives.

The result were clothes that might look strange but they worked. And they worked in the SHTF circumstances of primitive frontier life.

People that were isolated in their small groups, under constant threat and cut off from resupply.

Sound familiar?

I should probably retire to a blank slate and start a new thread with the desire information at this point.
1 July 2013, 22:58,
(1 July 2013, 22:06)Mortblanc Wrote: Here is a link to the site where I was camping and teaching on the 20-24 of June. Watch what is going on in the background shots as well as focusing on the Park Ranger that is talking.

We go into these places and live at the 18th Century level for weeks at a time.

Mort, I haven't been here on the Forum for long and have been aware of the need for prepping for just that short a time but I've already learned to value your posts and the experience that lies behind them. Thank you for that. I'm also sure that you have quite a bit of fun at our expense Smile.

That said, I for one, would be grateful for you passing on any of the valuable knowledge that you have and would care to share. My thanks in advance...

By the way, I did pay particular attention to what was going on in the background and I now have a mental picture of you - well, two actually. In my mind, you are either the one operating the primitive machinery - or the one with the well-filled blouse...

4 July 2013, 23:37,
An option is to get involved with a historical re-enactment society. Pick a period. Most periods have local groups consisting of individuals with a wealth of experience in making clothing & equipment that would be suitable to our preps. Probably from the medieval period onwards and especially the 18th Century as MortBlanc is involved with. While it is not for everyone, it may be a worthwhile pastime for some. Alternatively just visit one of the re-enactment shows. One of a considerable size that holds a period historical type market at the event. This would be a good source of ideas and kit & guides on how to make it. Some of the kit you will see on site and on sale is good and some is not, but it will give you an insight from which you can develop further. A good way to further this would be to visit a museum that holds articles you are have found an interest in. This way you will get to see and possibly handle original examples and so you will be able to compare to modern recreations. If you can find an individual with the skillset of MortBlanc who is willing to pass a bit on, then you will be doing well. Regards, TL
(Having cold wet feet on a damp day is the surest way to get cheesed off real quick Most other items of kit can be changed around or adapted, but cold wet feet really sucks and will affect your performance and morale. making good shoes is not easy, especially for beginners, so if you do go down this route, then put some time and effort In to achieve a good result and it could be one of the best skills you aquire. Repairs and the understanding of how to effect them with different materials will become feasible too.)
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
5 July 2013, 02:02, (This post was last modified: 5 July 2013, 02:18 by Mortblanc.)
INSTRUCTIONS;

Time for the real work to begin now. I am going to do this in a strange way, by giving written instructions, then links to written instructions and then links to U-tube videos.

From past experience I realize that the links may disintegrate over time and be irretrievable.

First one must remember that these shoes are carryover from the stone age. Each pair is made for the individual. this pattern is the most simple I am aware of.

First we will start with a piece of cardboard. You will need a piece large enough to stand on with both feet.

Stand on the cardboard with your feet together but separate by 1/2" at the ball of the foot and by 1" at the heel. Stand with your heels 1" from the edge of the pattern flat.

Using a marking device trace around the feet with 1/2' allowance. Include the dip between the large toes.

Smooth out the tracing lines and cut out the pattern.

Using a cheap substitute for leather, something like canvas or heavy fabric, cut out the pattern.

Fold the pattern over on itself and sew from the V at the toe in a continuous seam all the way to the top of the arch of the foot. Use a simple running seam.

Turn the moccasin inside out and stick your foot into it. This is when you tweak things so they fit. Close things up or let them out but keep in mind that when you switch over to leather it will be thicker and make a smaller shoe than the fabric.

Now tack up the heel in a single seam from bottom to top.

After all the fitting has been done and you are happy with the fit take the fabric shoe apart, lay it on the cardboard pattern and trim the pattern to the new fit.

Now transfer the pattern to the leather. Using your awl, punch holes through both sides of the leather at the same time, then follow with needle and thread. do not attempt to force the needle through the leather without a pilot hole made by the awl. If you can force the needle through the leather your leather is probably too thin.

Sew the leather just as you did the fabric. Go slowly and check the fit as you progress. Sew the center seam up the top and then the heel. Turn the moccasin so that the seam is on the inside and check the fit.

After one has made two or three pair the entire job can be accomplished in about 1/2 hour.

Using this system one can make a moccasin using the most primitive tools and worst materials. One can use a pocket knife to do the cutting and make the holes for the seam and then use a thin strip of leather for the sewing.

You should note at this point that one can use a very heavy fabric if you equip this shoe with a separate sole. Upholstery fabric with a sole cut from a rubber welcome mat or any other durable combination might work.

I sometimes cut a sole from heavy leather and wear it inside the moccasin until it takes the shape of my foot, then remove it and sew it to the outside.

I will post links with patterns and instructions.

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ma...66&bih=643

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxgTdrT3UQg

On the patterns and video all I want to add is that you can ignore the flaps on the sides. They simply complicate things and require more leather.

The flaps were originally intended to turn up over the cuff of the pants and keep twigs and trash out of the shoe. they can be eliminated or they can be added as a tack on or even extended up to the knee.

This is the basic shoe of all primitive people. It may be modified, a vamp/tongue added, the seam pulled to "pucker" the toe, leggings added, soles sewn on linings added and the materials changed, but it is a remnant of the flat technology that was shared world wide 10,000 years ago.

It is the pattern of the shoe Otzie the Iceman wore and it is the pattern of the oldest archeological item present from the frozen tundra of North America.

One must also keep in mind that these shoes are not durable. They require constant maintenance, patching, greasing, re-stitching and avoidance of dangerous obstacles like glass or sharp metal. They will not last long on pavement or concrete. They are fantastic for "off road" use.