Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood Storage
3 December 2011, 07:22,
RE: Wood Storage
(3 December 2011, 02:49)Skean Dhude Wrote: WTF? I take an evening off from running this site and it all goes like a girl guides evening.

This is a serious site for people to prepare for a event that we hope doesn't happen. If it does we need to stand up like men and make a new society yet here we are getting upset like a girly LibDem over someone disagreeing with us.

It stops now please. If someone disagrees with you fine. We are big enough to know that the world is made up of lots of different people most of whom don't agree with what we are doing anyway. If someone is annoying you in PMs and emails ban them and if they do it on these sites in comments I will be forced to stop them. I don't want to ban anyone as everyone here has contributed knowledge that I appreciate and I don't want them to go but if you feel that you must go off sulking then that is your choice.

Let's get back on topic and onto the serious task of preparing. Thanks for your understanding.

I disagree with you; I have tidied it up some.

Ok all I took the evening off from the running of this site and see a problem has occurred while I was away, I will looking at the chat and see what has caused said problem, and get a better understanding of what has happened.

I want my site to be a serious site for people to prepare for an event that we hope doesn't happen. If it does we need to stand up like men and make a new society yet here we are getting upset by a member of my mod team and that is a problem that needs to be fixed asap, I shall have a chat with Skvez and ask why two of my active posters are feeling your nit picking their posts, and get to the bottom of why he feels he needs to warn everyone about threads posted.

It stops now please while I look into it. If someone disagrees with you fine. We are big enough to know that the world is made up of lots of different people most of who don't agree with what we are doing anyway.

If someone is annoying you in PMs and emails ban them and if they do it on these sites in comments I will be forced to stop them. I don't want to ban anyone as everyone here has contributed knowledge that I appreciate and I don't want them to go, but if you do decided to go then then that is your choice.

Let's get back on topic and onto the serious task of preparing. Thanks for your understanding.

3 December 2011, 08:11,
A joke...

Whats the difference between a survivalist and a drama queen ?

I'll leave you to add the punchline Big Grin

Seriously, I'm with SD. If people are going to start throwing their toys out of the pram and flouncing off just because of a bit of criticism of their posts then maybe they should take up crochet instead of survivalism. I see nothing wrong with mods or anyone else questioning the info contained in peoples posts.

We criticise the masses for believing everything they read or are told by news channels etc without questioning it, but as soon as anyone questions a post on here it's big girly hissy fits all round Huh

I think both W&C and NR's posts are in most cases informative and generally useful, but that doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't be questioned, in fact it wouldn't be much of a forum if they weren't questioned

Maybe one of the preps some survivalists should be doing is developing a thicker skin, if you can't cope now you will be fooked if tshtf

3 December 2011, 17:03,
This is one of the great problems in life. A person questions what someone has said and there is a reaction. It is usually due to body chemistry. Women when they have there period are often enraged by a simple remark. Men too, have fluctuations in their body chemistry as well. It is hard to undo what has been done, as often the person questioned feels slighted. Unfortunately, the person questioned holds a grudge all due to that bad moment when his body chemitry has hit that low. One of the many problems that survival groups will encounter when a bad situation arises. Kenneth Eames.
3 December 2011, 17:05,
W&C, I appreciate your viewpoint. I spend my time, effort and money to put this site out there for others to use. I want to find out what you know and in exchange I provide what I know. I expect to be questioned at the very least because we don't want any misunderstanding. I don't want to spend my time as referee for a hair pulling contest because of bad wording. We have better things to do. Let's put it behind us.

JD, Thanks for that.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 December 2011, 17:14, (This post was last modified: 3 December 2011, 17:48 by Nemesis.)
(3 December 2011, 17:05)Skean Dhude Wrote: W&C, I appreciate your viewpoint. I spend my time, effort and money to put this site out there for others to use. I want to find out what you know and in exchange I provide what I know. I expect to be questioned at the very least because we don't want any misunderstanding. I don't want to spend my time as referee for a hair pulling contest because of bad wording. We have better things to do. Let's put it behind us.

JD, Thanks for that.

I hear what you’re saying SD and no problem, as I have said more than once it was never about criticism or questioning my threads that I post up, I would not want to be a member of a forum that did not question others posts. (I hope this is now understood)

I won't waste time explaining again why this all has happened, I understand jd1 and Kenneth Eames can't grasp what has gone on, so I won't rise to the somewhat immature reply jd1 gave, I shall how ever say Kenneth Eames did raise a good point and is worth deeper discussion maybe another thread, emotions is something we have to consider post shtf.

To sum up I said quite openly in this thread that by my taking of this wood it is theft, I will not post this type thread again as it is not welcomed here.

I still don't see why people feel I am upset about criticism or questioning me, In fact I don't feel I was questioned or criticised, I was more concerned that policing threads in such a manner will lead to a lot of good threads not getting posted because they might be border line or breach copyright, and if being honest I do question anyone that seems to police in this manner on a forum of this nature, I must admit the compass thread I still am unsure what Skvez was doing posting what he did, but maybe thats just his posting style.

I have put all this behind me SD and hope others read this reply see just that, but then again maybe not, but for me its over and any problems I shall keep off the board.

3 December 2011, 18:25,
W&C,

As far as the taking of the wood the issue is that legally it probably is. We, as in all us here, don't see it as that, nor do we care, and it was just being pointed out. As was said before many of us don't now these things although I accept it's all in the wording though. I think we can all learn from this episode.

Personally, I would rather you kept posting those type of threads. Thats how we learn.

Thanks for the clarification. Smile
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 December 2011, 08:09,
Ok...Toys back in pram and handbags stored out of reach!

Getting back to the thread.

I have a nice open fire in my front room and through the spring/summer months I collect as much fallen wood as I can .
My house also has nice wooden floorboards that, like many homes have been exposed and sanded to look nice.
During the winter months I bring some of this wood into the house and stack it in the front room in an alcove next to the fire.

My question is this..Woodworm! Should I be concerned that woodworm from the wood I have stacked in the alcove is going to get into my floorboards and over time eat away at my secure home from within??
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

4 December 2011, 10:28,
I keep mine out in the garage in or the conservatory, only a few ornimental pieces by the fire to appease the missus.

4 December 2011, 11:47,
for those of you storing wood indoors, in garages and such, is that wood pre-seasoned? if not does it take longer to cure indoors and how do you keep it ventilated?
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
4 December 2011, 14:08,
(4 December 2011, 11:47)preservefreak Wrote: for those of you storing wood indoors, in garages and such, is that wood pre-seasoned? if not does it take longer to cure indoors and how do you keep it ventilated?

No it seasons or dries out much quicker when stored in a conservatory or ventilated garage, I've got three bags in the conservatory I cut and stacked early June time, did a moisture test on it the other day and its down to 18% on average.
Air circ is important, very important as it speeds up the drying process, but the conservatory acts like an oven as well greatly speeding up the process. as does the garage to a lesser degree cos the residual heat from the boiler keeps its just slightly warmer as well.

One of the Yeovil group showed me a picture of his living room / dining room wal the other week, right along the back wall some 32 ft approx floor to ceiling he had stacked logs he cut in spring summer, all are ready to burn.