Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood Storage
1 December 2011, 14:31,
RE: Wood Storage
(1 December 2011, 13:08)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(1 December 2011, 12:44)bigpaul Wrote: if anyone else is collecting fallen wood, dont collect ROTTEN timber it will infect your stocks and all your firewood will rot.

Thanks BP I honestly did not know that, I'll have to have a bit of a sort out of some of my stuff, I did throw out any bit that were clearly rotten but if I found some good pieces in a length of timber with a rotten end I did save them, should I throw them out?
yes, was having a conversation with OH about this the other day, and she says better to be safe than sorry, throw them out or they will infect ALL your wood.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 December 2011, 16:59,
Well I did come across a lot of what I call rotten ones, crushable with my boot turned to dust type thing, of course left them on the floor, I think we need more research on this scavenging fallen trees.

On the plus side I managed to get hold of 9 large pallets so the store shed can begin this week end.
2 December 2011, 06:55,
Many of those that turn to dust are good for tinder. A great aid for fire starting, especially in the wilderness. Make sure you dry the tinder before going camping. Once dry, keep it in a tin to avoid becoming damp. Kenneth Eames.
2 December 2011, 10:55,
yes, agreed, you can use rotten timber in a camp fire, but you dont want it in your seasoning long term wood stocks, you can use dead timber, you can use downed timber, just dont get rotten timber in your wood store, its a fungal spore and will spread to all your timber.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 December 2011, 14:08,
I was concerned by "there is so much more laying there no one wants"
Rotting wood is an important part of a forest life cycle (like a compost pile).
Removing some wood will be fine but taking it all will damage the forest.
Depending on who owns the forest removing 'fallen' wood that 'no one wants' may still be considered theft.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
2 December 2011, 14:30,
I got written permission of the Countys head forester to scavenge fallen timber, makes it easier to work with the forestry guys than to get into trouble, they often advise where best to go and how much to take, and of course in this county I can get a transit pickup load of cut timber from their coppicing work for £20

2 December 2011, 14:43,
i think it was Dick Strawbridge who said: i would rather ask for forgiveness after than ask permission before. in some cases its not always possible to find out who and if anyone owns this or that woodland, in most cases land and woodland is not registered to the same degree as houses are, so unless you have some local knowledge you may not be able to find the owner, unless he's actually standing there.
2 December 2011, 15:46,
(2 December 2011, 14:08)Skvez Wrote: I was concerned by "there is so much more laying there no one wants"
Rotting wood is an important part of a forest life cycle (like a compost pile).
Removing some wood will be fine but taking it all will damage the forest.
Depending on who owns the forest removing 'fallen' wood that 'no one wants' may still be considered theft.

I don't have permission, I have lived the land for many years now, I have built on it made fires and hunted, I trespass daily and invite mates to join me, I know the land is owned by a foreign consortium that only have interest in a famous building sited on this land, the part of the woods I call mine is huge and they have no care for it other than maybe one day building on it.

If told to stick to the path I am the type to wonder off, I do respect others and I do my best to follow a code to not abuse the land, but in truth I am stealing this wood and trespass. Angel

2 December 2011, 15:53,
WetandCold

I wasn't trying to tell you off for what you are doing.
It sounds like you are responsibly taking a small amount of wood from an area where the owners won't care.

But I wanted to warn others who may follow your example that the owners of their area might be very upset (up to and including legal action) if they take 'dead' wood that appeared to be 'unwanted'.

I hope you appreciated the distinction.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
2 December 2011, 16:01,
(2 December 2011, 15:53)Skvez Wrote: WetandCold

I wasn't trying to tell you off for what you are doing.
It sounds like you are responsibly taking a small amount of wood from an area where the owners won't care.

But I wanted to warn others who may follow your example that the owners of their area might be very upset (up to and including legal action) if they take 'dead' wood that appeared to be 'unwanted'.

I hope you appreciated the distinction.

I disagree with you, first of all you quoted concern about something I said, and ended with basically calling me a thief, as for your “telling me off” I think you need get off your high horse.