Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gulf Stream/colder winters????
2 July 2013, 20:06,
RE: Gulf Stream/colder winters????
Tarrel & HL apart from you guys learning the need to start learning how to hunt Polar Bears and Seals I noted on Discovery last night the show called Flying Wild Alsaka and the main characters had to deliver a new stove to this remote lodge facility high in the artic wilderness. What totally astounded them ( and remember half the family of the Twetos are Inuits) was the lodge owners were growing spuds, cabbage and winter wheat among other things quite successfully but with a lot of planning. So hope springs eternal ??

2 July 2013, 20:19,
That sounds like a good show. Haven't got Discovery Channel unfortunately. I'll look out for it on YouTube.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
2 July 2013, 20:31, (This post was last modified: 2 July 2013, 20:36 by NorthernRaider.)
Theres a few on Discovery you should be able to pick up, and Nat Geo Theres one about a family who live on 600 acres of Alaskan coastline totally self sufficient, another about ERA air the one i mentioned above, then their is ice pilots, and I think theres one about Gold prospectors in Alaska, then Ice Road truckers does Alaska and Canada

Found it Smile You will like this series

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/alaska...family.htm

2 July 2013, 20:38,
we've been watching that one too and they have been growing veg in the 4 months that they get good growing weather
2 July 2013, 20:59,
That series of `Flying Wild Alaska` has just finished up here, we are looking forward to the new series, I read somewhere that it will be on soon, but have not seen any advertisement for it yet
A major part of survival is invisibility.
2 July 2013, 21:25, (This post was last modified: 2 July 2013, 21:25 by NorthernRaider.)
(2 July 2013, 20:59)Highlander Wrote: That series of `Flying Wild Alaska` has just finished up here, we are looking forward to the new series, I read somewhere that it will be on soon, but have not seen any advertisement for it yet

Its on now been running for two weeks, Aerial goes hunting with a rifle and target practice with her mum the week before.

(2 July 2013, 21:25)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(2 July 2013, 20:59)Highlander Wrote: That series of `Flying Wild Alaska` has just finished up here, we are looking forward to the new series, I read somewhere that it will be on soon, but have not seen any advertisement for it yet

Its on now been running for two weeks, Aerial goes hunting with a rifle and target practice with her mum the week before.

9PM sundays IIRC

2 July 2013, 22:06, (This post was last modified: 2 July 2013, 22:29 by Highlander.)

9PM sundays IIRC

I have looked on the programs tonight, and for next Sunday it says that Ponts is still there with the team, him and Ben are put in harms way by Solar flares,

....... but I am sure it was Ponts who at the end of the last series we watched, left the company to fly large passenger aircraft down south, so unless he has come back he cant be in the program

... but I must admit, I just cant remember the target shooting, so I have put it on tape and I will have a look

Although, looking at this link, it could be that Ponts only went as far as Barrow to fly,... I must have a look

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/05...-8/135552/
A major part of survival is invisibility.
2 July 2013, 23:05,
Since finding SUK, my telly watching has dropped off to almost zero, where it used to be all that I did. That programme though, is one that I've stayed with. Watching those guys land in a fierce crosswind, crabbing in at almost 90 degrees to the runway - amazing!

Watching the old fella too, landing that ancient bush plane of his in spaces not much bigger than a spread-out bedsheet... it's one of those 'not to be missed' progs!

3 July 2013, 00:23,
Looks like I'm on the wrong site. I don't believe in the Anthropogenic Global Warming that is spouted by the politicians and discredited scientists.

I believe the planet's climate changes at the behest of the sun and we are arrogent in our own capabilities if we think we have done this and can fix it.

The AGW scam has been coming off the wheels for a while now as the dates are passed with no sign of the devastation predicted. All that marks the event is a new dire prediction and, you can't say they have not learned, dates so far in the future we won't see them.

We can't even predict the weather for a few months away, how do we do it for 50 years.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 July 2013, 00:56,
Just wondering, what kind of predictions time wise are we looking at here, ie. as far as a catastrophic scenario is concerned??