Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gulf Stream/colder winters????
3 July 2013, 01:21,
RE: Gulf Stream/colder winters????
(3 July 2013, 00:23)Skean Dhude Wrote: Looks like I'm on the wrong site. I don't believe in the Anthropogenic Global Warming that is spouted by the politicians and discredited scientists.

I believe the planet's climate changes at the behest of the sun and we are arrogent in our own capabilities if we think we have done this and can fix it.

The AGW scam has been coming off the wheels for a while now as the dates are passed with no sign of the devastation predicted. All that marks the event is a new dire prediction and, you can't say they have not learned, dates so far in the future we won't see them.

We can't even predict the weather for a few months away, how do we do it for 50 years.

SD, I reckon you're still on the right Forum (it is yours, after all! Smile).

I kind of thought that from HL's original post and from those that followed, including my own that, apart from a lengthy foray into Discovery Channel world Smile, we were talking, in the main, about personal observations alongside a number of past and current reports and how they might effect our prepping efforts either now or in the future. I didn't notice anyone referring to causes, just the effects, although there was just one brief allusion to it.

Whether those effects are anthropogenic or solar in nature, they are nevertheless real and maybe should be considered as we move forward??? Smile

3 July 2013, 08:02, (This post was last modified: 3 July 2013, 08:07 by Highlander.)
Global Warming `could` be a completely different subject, that why I didn't mention it, I simply related the facts of what the gulf Stream is and the effects it seems to be having on our weather.

It may well all be linked to Global warming either man made or not, that part doesn't really bother me the effects though should be of more concern to us I think

(3 July 2013, 00:56)SierraCharlie Wrote: Just wondering, what kind of predictions time wise are we looking at here, ie. as far as a catastrophic scenario is concerned??

I dont think anyone knows, or not brave enough to say, I dont think it will ever turn into a catastrophic event, all we can do is watch how the winters are, and see if the Gulf Stream does change anything [ it might not ],... in the last few years many of us have seen changes for the worst,.. colder, longer winters

So if we look forward to 10 years time, and try and predict how the winters have progressed, we might come up with something that needs prepping for
A major part of survival is invisibility.
3 July 2013, 08:33,
i have always believed that the warming cooling thing is cyclic and that we are just in a warm period between ice ages, wether the return to spreading ice fields and glaciation is exacerbated or accelerated by buggered up gulf currents I honestly dont know, and TBH I dont think the climatoligists know either.

The ONE point that does caise me much concern is the SPEED or the cooling down process, once over the ologists thought it took thousands of years, then others came up with info that suggested it could be only hundreds of years......and others now believe it could be under 10 years for temps to collapse with the glaciers catching up later.

Was that story about the found Mammoth who froze to death with a mouth full of grass true?

3 July 2013, 09:04,
Yep the story was true, they were/are found in Siberia and it happened instantaneously to whole herds needing a temperature of at least -100°C to enable them to be frozen as they were. Many reasons have been suggested from a huge artic breeze or something akin to the storms in the film 'A day after tomorrow' - truth is no-one knows why but all we know isit happened once so theoretically could do so again!
3 July 2013, 09:48,
(3 July 2013, 09:04)Arnie72 Wrote: Yep the story was true, they were/are found in Siberia and it happened instantaneously to whole herds needing a temperature of at least -100°C to enable them to be frozen as they were. Many reasons have been suggested from a huge artic breeze or something akin to the storms in the film 'A day after tomorrow' - truth is no-one knows why but all we know isit happened once so theoretically could do so again!

That would certainly deal with the Refrigeration issue recently discussedmin another thread!Big Grin
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
3 July 2013, 10:03,
Try and imagine the UK climate turning into the northern Canadian climate in under 10 yrs !!!. Food for thought.

3 July 2013, 10:10,
(3 July 2013, 10:03)NorthernRaider Wrote: Try and imagine the UK climate turning into the northern Canadian climate in under 10 yrs !!!. Food for thought.

funnily enough the Canadian winters would be better, especially down here, we get more ice than snow and when we do get snow its just a light covering, my Canadian relatives didn't have any trouble getting about in their winters, mind you EVERYBODY had snow chains.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 July 2013, 10:20, (This post was last modified: 3 July 2013, 10:21 by Arnie72.)
Agreed - I used to have to go to northern Norway and Sweden in winter and had no issues with using studded tyres and chains over winter months by law so everyone had two sets of wheels - one for summer and one for winter - and their airports still worked too! Once again it would just be a case of adapting and overcoming!

Hmm though would need to dig out my thermals too though! Smile
3 July 2013, 10:58,
I'm already preparing for it. As I've said on another post a long time ago, maybe even on the site,we need to prepare for these events now. Sleeping bags, warm clothing, etc. are cheap now. The Eskimos do it so can we.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 July 2013, 11:07,
got a decent sleeping bag + an old one, have bought a couple of sets of thermals, plus loads of warm coats and jackets, a wood burner and started a stock of firewood, just having the sun room attended to as we speak so that it will insulate the back of the house more in the winter, got the loft insulated and the walls have been foam injected.we are in a fairly protected location, have a large "shelter belt" of trees nearby and live in a mild climate area of the UK.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.