Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoking [ food ] recipes
2 July 2013, 19:44,
Smoking [ food ] recipes
Just a short distance up the road there used to be a smoke house, but he retired last Autumn, and he gave me a couple of his simple smoking recipes today.

Making a smoker is easy there are lots of ideas below

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=homema...60&bih=625

Smoked Chicken.

3 pints of water,
8 oz of salt
4 oz of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of Saltpeter
This makes the Brine

depending on how you want to flavor the chicken
Garli/treacle/spices/herbs,.. add to Brine

Mix in ingredients above, and submerge one 3lb chicken
Put a weight on the chicken to keep it submerge in the Brine
Leave in Brine for 24 hours

Remove after 24 hours and drip dry in the fridge or somewhere cold

Cold smoke for 24 hours,.. [ remember cold smoke is smoke but no heat]
Until the chicken is golden

Remove from the smoker, and cook in an oven at 160 degrees or there abouts, as you would an ordanary chicken, no need to cover

Eat within 3 weeks of smoking
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smoked Salmon Paste

Take 1lb of smoked Salmon, put in water and boil from one to two minutes, strain it, and break it up in a bowl and mix with half a lb of Philadelphia cheese

add 1 teaspoon of parsley,
half a teaspoon on dill
a squeeze of lemon
and a knob of butter the size of a walnut

Mix ingredients together and fill up small containers with it, pouring a little smelted butter on top of each pot and cover with either cling film or a lid,... [ the smelted butter increases the shelf life ]

It will last for two weeks and can also be frozen
A major part of survival is invisibility.
2 July 2013, 21:47,
RE: Smoking [ food ] recipes
Going to build my smoker in a few weeks, can't wait to try it out and get started. Thanks HL for the info
2 July 2013, 22:10,
(2 July 2013, 21:47)Straight Shooter Wrote: Going to build my smoker in a few weeks, can't wait to try it out and get started. Thanks HL for the info

I plan on building one too, I was talking to the smoker who retired, and he said that he started with an old metal paraffin barrel, ...his fish smoked ok,.. but people mentioned that it tasted a little like paraffin.

So he told me to make damn sure you look at your smoker well and make sure it has never held anything bad that might transfer a taste you dont want,... or buy something new

.... unless you like paraffin... mmmm Tongue
A major part of survival is invisibility.
2 July 2013, 23:42,
Why is it that paraffin never seems to get rid of its smell? You would think a volatile substance would eventually loose all its smell.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin