Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virgin camping kit
5 July 2013, 20:11,
RE: Virgin camping kit
Yes. The UKBA have rules to follow but they don't get everything that falls in the taxable area. Sad that.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 July 2013, 09:21,
(5 July 2013, 12:21)Mortblanc Wrote: This company is a U.S. forum that has excellent gear in every price range and ships to the UK.

I have been ordering from them for years and have purchased everything from tents to boats. One of my British friends bought a 2 person tent, in the $50 price range, from them and just got to use it for the first time a week ago. Reported that it worked very well.

Thanks Mort. To be honest I didn't realise how far tents have come in design & cost.
Last time I went camping in a tent was in the late 70's as a kid. Watching my one armed grandad trying to get a tent up was enough to put me off Smile
9 July 2013, 07:45,
(5 July 2013, 19:43)TheFalcon Wrote:
(5 July 2013, 19:13)Skean Dhude Wrote: They don't tax us nor do they know if we will be taxed. It's our thieving government that does that.

I meant our bastard thieving government Big Grin
Is it at their discretion?

I have had canteen style bottles from the US and they will tax you. i would definitely say if it comes from the US you are gonna get taxed
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

10 July 2013, 17:08,
What do they tax you based on?

Price, weight, estimated value?

What if the item is a hand crafted piece of equipment that has no value to the components but the end product is useful, something like an alcohol stove made from soda cans?

Is there any rhyme or reason to the amounts?
10 July 2013, 17:14,
(8 July 2013, 09:21)MCavity Wrote: Thanks Mort. To be honest I didn't realise how far tents have come in design & cost.
Last time I went camping in a tent was in the late 70's as a kid. Watching my one armed grandad trying to get a tent up was enough to put me off Smile

you can buy "pop up" tents now that put themselves up!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 July 2013, 19:09,
They tax any bought item over a certain amount. You declare the item value of the mail form. Gifts are exempt but shops won't mark them as gifts because of insurance purposes. Second hand goods are exempt but if it is not markd how do they know?

It is just simply revenue raising scheme and before it was too difficult to police, now with the anti terrorism laws they have plenty of time to raise revenue.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 July 2013, 10:31,
you can buy "pop up" tents now that put themselves up!
[/quote]

Yeh good call BP, looking at them at the mo Smile
11 July 2013, 12:09,
When they market a tent that packs itself away in the same space it comes out of I'll have a couple.
Skean Dhude
11 July 2013, 12:42,
cant please everybody all of the timeBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 July 2013, 11:33,
(10 July 2013, 17:08)Mortblanc Wrote: What do they tax you based on?

Price, weight, estimated value?

What if the item is a hand crafted piece of equipment that has no value to the components but the end product is useful, something like an alcohol stove made from soda cans?

Is there any rhyme or reason to the amounts?

Our imports are taxed on value. If you find a nice seller they will sometimes put "gift" on the ticket and set the value at under $25. Customs still like to have a gander (especially if you're ordering something metal) and for that privelage they sting you for £9!!!

I bought a load of the yo-yo reels. One lot got through, but the second bigger order got caught, would have been cheaper for me to buy them of some bloke in the UK!!