Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virgin camping kit
5 July 2013, 12:02,
RE: Virgin camping kit
(5 July 2013, 10:24)Tarrel Wrote:
Quote:As for the booze - it goes without saying

"Camp tea" as we call it in the Scouts!

You haven't got a sleeping bag on the list, or are you planning to use the blanket?

Yeh as its summer i'm going for it with a ground sheet and a bivvy. Used to use these for simple camps when I was a kid, so I know it works. The idea is I won't have to lug a tent around, but looking at modern tents I may well change my mind after this.
5 July 2013, 12:10,
Mccavity if you are going to rough it on a ground sheet properly dont forget to dig a shallow scrape hole out under the bit where your hip will lay.

5 July 2013, 12:21,
This company is a U.S. forum that has excellent gear in every price range and ships to the UK.

I have been ordering from them for years and have purchased everything from tents to boats. One of my British friends bought a 2 person tent, in the $50 price range, from them and just got to use it for the first time a week ago. Reported that it worked very well.
5 July 2013, 12:49,
(5 July 2013, 12:21)Mortblanc Wrote: This company is a U.S. forum that has excellent gear in every price range and ships to the UK.

What company Mort?

5 July 2013, 14:34,
Sorry, the link did not show and I did not realize it.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/brows...c=80&s=890

They have all sorts of goodies besides tents.
5 July 2013, 15:16,
(5 July 2013, 09:12)MCavity Wrote: As for the knife I'm making sure I stay legal, although I do take your comments on board.

You can have a fixed bladeknife with you and still be legal. You have a shed load of camping kit.therefore you are camping and a folding knife is a danger to you. I've had a Swiss Army Knife for 25 years. in that time I've stabbed myself three time when the blad collapsed on me because I should have used a fixed blade knife.

Keep the Swiss Army type knife as an EDC and have the fixed blade wrapped away in your bag. It isn't ready for instant deployment so Plod may not even get overcome with fright.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 July 2013, 17:46,
(5 July 2013, 15:16)Skean Dhude Wrote:
(5 July 2013, 09:12)MCavity Wrote: As for the knife I'm making sure I stay legal, although I do take your comments on board.

You can have a fixed bladeknife with you and still be legal. You have a shed load of camping kit.therefore you are camping and a folding knife is a danger to you. I've had a Swiss Army Knife for 25 years. in that time I've stabbed myself three time when the blad collapsed on me because I should have used a fixed blade knife.

Keep the Swiss Army type knife as an EDC and have the fixed blade wrapped away in your bag. It isn't ready for instant deployment so Plod may not even get overcome with fright.

I agree, it is not against any UK law to carry a fixed blade, if stopped all you have to do is give good reason for carrying it, camping will always be a good enough reason, provided its not strapped to your belt when you pop into the pub
A major part of survival is invisibility.
5 July 2013, 18:19,
(5 July 2013, 14:34)Mortblanc Wrote: Sorry, the link did not show and I did not realize it.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/brows...c=80&s=890

They have all sorts of goodies besides tents.

Looks like a good site with good prices,Are they going to hit you with a customs tax though
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
5 July 2013, 19:13,
They don't tax us nor do they know if we will be taxed. It's our thieving government that does that.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 July 2013, 19:43,
(5 July 2013, 19:13)Skean Dhude Wrote: They don't tax us nor do they know if we will be taxed. It's our thieving government that does that.

I meant our bastard thieving government Big Grin
Is it at their discretion?
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king