Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low Information Diet
21 July 2013, 15:44,
RE: Low Information Diet
Scythe 13, this post brings up some very important issues, especially from the point of "appliance addiction". Now I am not one for "conspiracy theories", (and before anyone chews me for dissing those theories, I mean no insult) but I have definitely noticed TV withdrawal symptoms. I spend some time every year in another country where English or any European language is not the first language, yet those people will have the TV on, with no understanding of what is being said!.
Why they would do this is beyond my understanding, is it the fact that the TV has become an essential part of our existence, as necessary as food to Human life, or is TV somehow addictive. Being of a scientific nature I would say there is no logical reason to assume that the TV being no more than a data delivery system is capable of inducing Human dependency, and any dependency is psychological rather than physical. Observation being essential to scientific method, I would have to say, TV exhibits all the symptoms of addiction on both levels.
Or does it mean I've turned to the Dark side and require a Tinfoil Hat?
21 July 2013, 16:17,
no you aint wrong TH, TV is the opium of the masses!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 July 2013, 21:26,
The best TV is 'Bush TV" - aka a camp-fire!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
22 July 2013, 11:24,
Totally agree there Tarrel!

Mind you I don't mind the odd bit of TV, especially for the kids, but we regulate how long people are on it and insist on 'outside' activities as well as family time (board games etc) regularly to keep brain cells alive!
22 July 2013, 11:26,
pity we cant do that with the sheeple.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 July 2013, 16:37,
Here in the states being a sheeple has no connection to enjoying a campfire. We have millions of folk that plan their vacations around backpacking and camping excursions, go rock climbing, hiking, orienteering and hunt and fish.

They take their Kindle, smart phone and laptop along and sit in camp texting, chatting and skyping.

They might be underwater on their mortgage, need to stop at the grocery before they can have lunch, have no clue about world political or economic events but they enjoy a week in the woods as much as anyone.

You folks in GB will find some of the same if you hop over to the buschcraft forums and talk a bit. Folks that are top class woodsmen but will not allow a conversation about survival because they are trying to avoid association with us "Loonies".
22 July 2013, 18:09,
(20 July 2013, 16:58)bigpaul Wrote:
(20 July 2013, 16:45)Jonas Wrote: The time to get to know your neighbors and to let them get to know you is NOW - before the SHTF.

sorry JP, I don't know what its like in the state of Texas, but I live on a modern housing estate...not huge smaller than some I have lived on, but I wouldn't trust my neighbours NOW, and i'm sure not going to trust them post shtf.

BP, have you considered moving to another town? If you can't trust your neighbors now, maybe it's time to "bug-out".
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
23 July 2013, 11:28,
(22 July 2013, 18:09)Jonas Wrote:
(20 July 2013, 16:58)bigpaul Wrote:
(20 July 2013, 16:45)Jonas Wrote: The time to get to know your neighbors and to let them get to know you is NOW - before the SHTF.

sorry JP, I don't know what its like in the state of Texas, but I live on a modern housing estate...not huge smaller than some I have lived on, but I wouldn't trust my neighbours NOW, and i'm sure not going to trust them post shtf.

BP, have you considered moving to another town? If you can't trust your neighbors now, maybe it's time to "bug-out".

I would, but I don't have the money to do so.we don't own our house.
23 July 2013, 22:37,
Right then, going to give it a try.

No TV- good, no news about Royal sprog.
No Radio- Brilliant, a week without that Blurred Lines song that's on incessantly.
No Newspapers- Only read one for the football, and its the close season anyway.
No phone- cue hallelujah chorus.
No games console- don't have one.
No internet- might get some work done

Only problem I see is I have a lot of information on flash drives that I use, oh well, it's only a week.

See you guys on the first of August !
Sodomi Non Sapiens.