Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
SHTF First Aid Courses
7 July 2013, 21:06,
SHTF First Aid Courses
It’s been in my mind for a while now that, while I had military first aid training and had to, like every other soldier, pass an annual test on the subject, my last such test was over twenty years ago! So... I guess I could need a bit of a refresher!

Then I thought about what training providers there might be, what level they would teach to and most importantly, would that be sufficient for me to look after me and mine after any ‘event’. The answers came up as a few, basic and no, probably not!

I’m not scoffing at the basic first aid course in fact, everyone should have been on one and if not, why not? Don’t you want to be able to save the life of your partner if the stress of SHTF suddenly resulted in a heart attack? Why wouldn’t you want to know how to stop a family member bleeding to death if they were wood cutting and the axe or saw slipped? Basic first aid will help you do those things and can help prevent an accident becoming a tragedy. Find somewhere soon and sign up!

But as beneficial as that basic knowledge will be, I really want to get back to where I was in those old soldiering days and to learn a bit more on top of that maybe proper wound care, maybe dealing with dislocations and broken bones as well and probably a whole variety of other things.

So of course, while I’m pondering the mysteries of the universe (and the first aid question,) I thought of you guys! Who better to ask? We’re all I suspect, pretty much in the same boat, apart from those fortunate few who have such training already. What I want to ask is this:

What would you want from your ideal SHTF First Aid Course?

(Answers on a postcard please, to... no, answers below will do just fine!)

Grumpy Grandpa

7 July 2013, 23:04,
RE: SHTF First Aid Courses
Not 100% sure but what i do know is I want to take the first aid further. As in not just till someone gets there but doing something else that will lead to a conclusion. Hopefully a positive one.

Don't want to do everything right and then having someone die because I couldn't finish a simple job.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 July 2013, 08:01,
The Military was the last time I saw a first a aid course, and we have both said that we will be doing the next one to appear in this neck of the woods

What would I want?,... that's not an easy question to answer,.. know how to stop heavy bleeding, how to stitch it up afterwards,.. review the lastest on Burns,... get up to date on Infections

...all that I was taught years ago has no doubt changed, so we would probably want to re-learn everything
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 July 2013, 12:49, (This post was last modified: 8 July 2013, 12:50 by Sunna.)
just finished one as part of my cpc / hgv training one day £90 done sameish ones before its ok not shit stuff but more general.

greenlite training
gloucestershire airport
staverton
gloucester
gl516sp

good luck

ps/ they still do blow into the dummyTongue

sorry s h t f not s!!t
Survive the jive (youtube )
8 July 2013, 13:21,
(8 July 2013, 12:49)Sunna Wrote: just finished one as part of my cpc / hgv training one day £90 done sameish ones before its ok not shit stuff but more general.

greenlite training
gloucestershire airport
staverton
gloucester
gl516sp

good luck

ps/ they still do blow into the dummyTongue

sorry s h t f not s!!t

Thanks for that and well done but what I was asking was, if you had the opportunity to attend a course designed for SHTF, what would you want it to cover?

8 July 2013, 17:26,
The US Basic EMT course would be a good start, but you learn (or at least I learned) the needed skills in a "clinical" setting. In other words, the classroom is great, but the emergency room is where you learn.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
8 July 2013, 18:39,
(8 July 2013, 17:26)Jonas Wrote: The US Basic EMT course would be a good start, but you learn (or at least I learned) the needed skills in a "clinical" setting. In other words, the classroom is great, but the emergency room is where you learn.

Gotta start somewhere, Jonas... Smile

8 July 2013, 19:49,
(8 July 2013, 18:39)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(8 July 2013, 17:26)Jonas Wrote: The US Basic EMT course would be a good start, but you learn (or at least I learned) the needed skills in a "clinical" setting. In other words, the classroom is great, but the emergency room is where you learn.

Gotta start somewhere, Jonas... Smile

in the uk try:
FPOS (I) first person on scene (intermediate)
if you have the money you could then try:
MIRA medicine in remote areas
they would cover alot of things if help is along way away or not coming!
8 July 2013, 20:44,
(8 July 2013, 19:49)Auto Wrote: in the uk try:
FPOS (I) first person on scene (intermediate)
if you have the money you could then try:
MIRA medicine in remote areas
they would cover alot of things if help is along way away or not coming!

Again, thank you but let me put this in the simplest way I can...

If I was organising a SHTF First Aid Course, what topics would you like it to cover? What first aid skills do you think you would need? What do you want to be taught?

8 July 2013, 21:15,
I think there is a bit of confusion here,.. `First aid`, is simply that `First aid`, and it can only cover a very limited area,.. `First aid` is designed to be carried out before a more qualified person arrives to take over

What you seem to be asking GG, is something far beyond first aid,...so with that in mind my answer might be something like

Re-alining broken bones
the theory of amputation

These two might well prove very handy, but they are not first aid
A major part of survival is invisibility.