Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need suggestions for alternative sleeping system
13 July 2013, 19:33,
RE: Need suggestions for alternative sleeping system
(13 July 2013, 10:27)Tibbs735 Wrote: I would really appreciate your suggestions for a blanket, as an alternative to a sleeping bag.

I tried one of those surplus wool blankets, and it was uncomfortably cold (This was spring btw.) It also seemed a bit too heavy for the amount of heat it provided.

I've seen one product which was an invention of a long distance hiker; he basically removed the part of the sleeping-bag you lay on, so you had the foam mat under you, and the weird modified bag over the other 3/4 of your body. It was bright neon green, and only available in America, so not an option.

What I am looking for is a reasonably light way to stay warm, that doesn't trap me in a cocoon if I have to gtfo quickly

look at ultra lighters. they use a quilt wich is just like half a sleeping bag. i made a down quilt last year and it is pretty good. packs down pretty small
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

13 July 2013, 22:58,
Thanks for all the helpful replies so far, I have a load of stuff to mull over now. I will get back to you if I find anything.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
14 July 2013, 15:26,
try a extra large sleeping bag , get in but dont zip up works for me
Survive the jive (youtube )
15 July 2013, 13:58,
I don't think you'll beat a lightweight down sleeping bag for the best compromise between warmth and travel weight/bulk. Trouble with quilts is they don't trap air as effectively as a bag, unless you have a large, heavy one which will drape over you.

The benefit of the Scottish plaid is that, although heavy, it was a multi-purpose item; clothing, bedding, even a carry-sling. Among the ultra-light hiking community there is an ethos of multiple use as a way of saving weight. E.g.:
- Why carry a down jacket and a heavy sleeping bag when you can wear the jacket inside a lighter bag?
- Why carry a plate/bowl and a cooking pot, when you can eat out of the pot?
- Use your sleeping mat as a frame in your rucksack
etc.

Thinking outside the box (or bag!), if you're looking for a bug-out solution post-SHTF, in which you may have to backpack for several days, you could travel at night and lay up during the day. Less cold for sleeping and better security for travelling, plus you're keeping warm and exercised during the coldest time.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
15 July 2013, 14:07,
(15 July 2013, 13:58)Tarrel Wrote: Thinking outside the box (or bag!), if you're looking for a bug-out solution post-SHTF, in which you may have to backpack for several days, you could travel at night and lay up during the day. Less cold for sleeping and better security for travelling, plus you're keeping warm and exercised during the coldest time.

trouble with travelling overnight(post shtf) is trying to see where we put our feet, using a torch could get someone noticed-light will be seen a long way off..especially in a "power down" scenario. I like the "Travel early morning & late evening, rest/hide up during main daylight hours" school of thought!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.