Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spearguns
17 July 2013, 00:11,
Spearguns
I know this a a fishing tool but an odd thought crossed my mind earlier today about using a speargun as a defense tool as well. Does anyone have any experience with such a beastie? Do they operate as efficiently in air as in water? Any ideas on the range? Any thoughts gratefully accepted... Smile

17 July 2013, 00:47,
RE: Spearguns
Hopeless in air and recoil like a mule. I once fired one on a beach and the damned thing recoiled so hard it hit me in the face. The solid steel arrow landed about 10 yards away.
17 July 2013, 02:32,
Even in their element they are a very close range tool.

The very simple ones I have seen have a latex tube attached to the rear of the spear with a loop to hold. they are used like a catapult where you hold to the rubber to retain control of the fish. I have never worled with the metal spring or gas powered ones.

I believe the "slingbow" that uses normal arrows with catapult elastic would be a better tool.

One could set it up like a crossbow using elastic rather than bow limbs. A plank for a stock and a simple push up plunger trigger lifting the cocked "string" from its notch to slap the back of the arrow and send it on its way.

It would be much simpler to handle inside a house than a normal crossbow, or a regular bow for that matter.
17 July 2013, 09:27,
slingbows are so easy to set up, buy a catapult on ebay--they are dirt cheap, get yourself a pack of one and a quarter inch split rings(like a key ring without the fob) and a pack of short cable ties(zip ties), place the split ring in the Y of the catapult and tie it off using 2 of the cable ties attached to the arms of the Y, takes about 30 seconds, I find I can use 20 inch arrows with this set up. I have bought a second catapult so I use that as a regular catapult and leave the slingbow permanently set up.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 July 2013, 12:01,
Thanks guys. I already thought it sounded like a dopey idea so I think I'll retire it now, never again to darken my brain cells... (what remain of them) Smile

17 July 2013, 13:37, (This post was last modified: 17 July 2013, 13:37 by MCavity.)
GG - Have a look on youtube for 'bowfishing', there are heaps of vids showing the obvious. Not sure how well it would work over this side of the pond, but a decent compound bow would be better protection.....

BTW - I like your style Big Grin
17 July 2013, 14:24, (This post was last modified: 17 July 2013, 14:42 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
(17 July 2013, 00:47)Steve Wrote: Hopeless in air and recoil like a mule. I once fired one on a beach and the damned thing recoiled so hard it hit me in the face. The solid steel arrow landed about 10 yards away.

Steve, Thanks for that. Doesn't sound too promising, does it? It was just one of those daft ideas... Smile

(17 July 2013, 02:32)Mortblanc Wrote: Even in their element they are a very close range tool.

I believe the "slingbow" that uses normal arrows with catapult elastic would be a better tool.

Thanks Mort. I plan to experiment with both the slingbow and the bikerim bow. I have a few of the bits required and have promised myself that I will get round to it! Smile

(17 July 2013, 09:27)bigpaul Wrote: slingbows are so easy to set up, buy a catapult on ebay--they are dirt cheap, get yourself a pack of one and a quarter inch split rings(like a key ring without the fob) and a pack of short cable ties(zip ties), place the split ring in the Y of the catapult and tie it off using 2 of the cable ties attached to the arms of the Y, takes about 30 seconds, I find I can use 20 inch arrows with this set up. I have bought a second catapult so I use that as a regular catapult and leave the slingbow permanently set up.

Thanks BP. It sounds ridiculously easy, although I'm sure it won't be quite so easy to be accurate. Looking forward to trying... Smile

(17 July 2013, 13:37)MCavity Wrote: GG - Have a look on youtube for 'bowfishing', there are heaps of vids showing the obvious. Not sure how well it would work over this side of the pond, but a decent compound bow would be better protection.....

BTW - I like your style Big Grin

Thanks MC. Went to the local archery club last night for the first time - excellent! Was using a Samick recurve at something like 18lbs. Suppose that might be standard for novices but given disabilities, I don't know how much more I'll be able to handle! Only one way to find out though! Smile Handled a compound (with a magnifying sight, of all things!) but they look to me as though there might be too much to go wrong. Cracker for accuracy though! There was also a chap there with a Hungarian Horse Bow - mean-looking sucker that! He's a re-enactor apparently and his kit (certainly the arrows) looked hand-made. I reckon I'll do a bit of learning first before I even think of pointing one a minnows! Big Grin

Also BTW - nice to know an oldster can have a wee bit of style left! Big Grin

17 July 2013, 14:56, (This post was last modified: 17 July 2013, 14:59 by bigpaul.)
GG slingbows are like any other bow...it needs practise to be accurate, the more one practises the better the aim will be.

GG the split ring is used as an arrow rest, it can also be used as an aiming guide.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 July 2013, 16:10,
Magic! Thanks BP. Smile

17 July 2013, 17:42, (This post was last modified: 17 July 2013, 17:56 by Mortblanc.)
Also keep in mind that the sling rubber have a shelf life. They decompose when exposed to UV light or ozone from exhaust fumes.

I have seen them rot in the package within a year, so keeping and "extra set" becomes a waste.

Rotate the elastic out about every 6 months and consider any tool using latex as a short lifespan instrument.

Not saying do not make them part of your plan, just watch the time and check the latex often.

They would give you time for making a decent bow that would use the same arrows and be a true long term tool.