Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maintaining Mental Function and staving off insanity post SHTF
19 July 2013, 17:30,
RE: Maintaining Mental Function and staving off insanity post SHTF
For me I do nor yet have a group but am working on it as it is the only way I can see that our species will survive/thrive.

For me the future will more likely be back to late Victorian era rather than Stone age as some people think. I do think we will still have some civility and some modern kit will still work post SHTF.

Also for me I do not mind the silence and the dark and have been known to rough camp with a bivvy for weeks at a time in the middle of a wood with no noise other than natural forest dwellers and only lights by campfire and starts and I love it and find I am very relaxed in that atmosphere - I certainly don't jump at shadows!

I have also done my fair share of 4 am stags where as you are very alert you try to identify any and all sounds.

But ultimately you are right S13 most sheeple wont know whats hit them when the SHTF and could well fall apart, making them an even bigger risk in my ind.

For me I am actively working on trying to locate, join or form a group semi locally as I believe I have a lot to offer a group and trying to plan now for the rebuild post SHTF - big task and IMHO no time to do it in! Oh for a TARDIS about now....and the security codes to the bank of England (hmm mind you that's probably empty so the codes from 20 yrs ago and the TARDIS would be okay!)!
19 July 2013, 17:53,
(19 July 2013, 17:30)Arnie72 Wrote: For me I do nor yet have a group but am working on it as it is the only way I can see that our species will survive/thrive.

I couldn't give a monkeys about the survival of the human race, the only survival I am interested in is MINE!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 July 2013, 18:05,
I was like that BP, but I have kids and want them to survive/thrive and the only way I can see that is in a group.

If I was single and no kids then I would think the same as you....
19 July 2013, 18:20, (This post was last modified: 19 July 2013, 18:22 by bigpaul.)
(19 July 2013, 18:05)Arnie72 Wrote: I was like that BP, but I have kids and want them to survive/thrive and the only way I can see that is in a group.

If I was single and no kids then I would think the same as you....

i know what you mean, but a group(unless a VERY close family one) only means trouble to me, i have been around for a few years and i have seen just what humans can do to each other and believe me it isn't pretty, so to me the only possible way to survive Post SHTF is to get as far away from other people as possible, its not so much the event that is the problem, there are always ways to solve that, the REAL trouble is PEOPLE and how they behave post event or post collapse. the riots a few years ago shows us just how people will behave even in a temporary situation, imagine then that it isn't temporary but permanent.

and i'm not unique, i'm not the only one who thinks like this.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 July 2013, 20:18,
It's not the silence that is going to drive me crazy, it's a load of noisy people! I don't mind quiet conversation, but some folks have no volume control, and screaming brats can bring me to a rolling boil quite quickly. Why is it that people can never hear themselves??
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
19 July 2013, 20:31,
Agreed BP, if I didn't have the kids to worry about I would be like yourself as people (especially sheeple) are still animals at heart.

I have served in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan (and elsewhere) and have seen how bad the human race can be to each other.

Hence why I am still working on my group as I have to be very selective. I have some close family I trust (obviously OH and kids) but by no means all my family I am sad to say would be totally trusted - some would be 'watched' by trustworthy members.

Post SHTF is gonna be 'interesting' I think.
20 July 2013, 07:11,
It's not just going to be silence that will cause issues, please let's not focus just on that. It's also the lack of activity, entertainment, and if you're bugging in, light.

Let's say you're bugging in, for this example, as that's the plan most people seem to be following.

First off, you do have black out curtains, right? Okay, good. Now, even with those in place, are you going to risk a candle giving away your position? It's day 9 of bugging in, and you keep hearing random noises at irregular intervals and times. Your glow in the dark watch says it's 11pm. Are you putting that candle on to see what's going on? That torch will be really bright too. Maybe a cheaper crap torch would be a wise purchase. Okay, you don't have TV, because it's day 10. You're still not planning on going outside. Confined to your castle for another 24 hours, at least. The TV is down, you listen to your radio on headphones, just incase the noise gives you away. What else will you be doing? TV has been down since day 2. Do you have enough books to read that you've not already gone through? What about boredgames (haha, see what I did there?).

Cabin fever is a dangerous thing!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
20 July 2013, 08:11,
(20 July 2013, 07:11)Scythe13 Wrote: It's not just going to be silence that will cause issues, please let's not focus just on that. It's also the lack of activity, entertainment, and if you're bugging in, light.

Let's say you're bugging in, for this example, as that's the plan most people seem to be following.

First off, you do have black out curtains, right? Okay, good. Now, even with those in place, are you going to risk a candle giving away your position? It's day 9 of bugging in, and you keep hearing random noises at irregular intervals and times. Your glow in the dark watch says it's 11pm. Are you putting that candle on to see what's going on? That torch will be really bright too. Maybe a cheaper crap torch would be a wise purchase. Okay, you don't have TV, because it's day 10. You're still not planning on going outside. Confined to your castle for another 24 hours, at least. The TV is down, you listen to your radio on headphones, just incase the noise gives you away. What else will you be doing? TV has been down since day 2. Do you have enough books to read that you've not already gone through? What about boredgames (haha, see what I did there?).

Cabin fever is a dangerous thing!!!

a lot of peoplle here are growing food. wouldnt you be tending the plants during the day?
I imagine a little recon would too even if it is just out a window.i have some night vision so no torches.
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

20 July 2013, 08:58,
I think it all depends on what kind of person you are, a lot of us just love peace and quietBig Grin but there are others who just cant shut up, if you live in a city or on a housing estate you probably know exactly what I mean, there is always that noisy family down the road!! post shtf OPSEC is going to be paramount, don't show lights, don't let cooking smells give you away that sort of thing.
20 July 2013, 09:03,
(20 July 2013, 08:11)SecretPrepper Wrote: a lot of peoplle here are growing food. wouldnt you be tending the plants during the day?
I imagine a little recon would too even if it is just out a window.i have some night vision so no torches.

I agree, I'll be looking after my plants, but not sure I'll be going outside too soon to do it. Also, tending plants doesn't take 8-10 hours a day. Having said that, I agree it will be something to do.

Beyond that, you're right about night vision being very helpful. How long, in straight use, do the batteries last? Could imagine them to be pretty battery exhaustive. Having said that, I doubt I could just look outside for 1 hour at a time, if nothing was happening. I'd be more inclined to tend the plants in the dark, with the night vision. That'd be the best way to maintain a low profile! But if you do that, it'd then end up as all daylight hours with PLENTY of spare time.

If you think spare time will be rare, why do you think the baby boom generation appeared shortly after the blackouts in WW2? Because they needed something to do, and they found something VERY FUN to do.....sexercise.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin