Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
miracle tree / moringa oleifera
24 July 2013, 23:28,
miracle tree / moringa oleifera
Been doing some research lately trying to find some new trees to plant. Came across this wonderful tree with many health benefits, plus its seeds can be used to purify turbid water.

The Miracle of Moringa Tree Leaves (Moringa Oleifera), commonly called the 'drumstick tree", and 'horseradish tree' is native to India but has been planted around the world and is naturalized in many locales. Moringa is one of the most powerful health-enhancing plants. While many things found in Nature can have one or two health benefits, Moringa has many. India's ancient tradition of ayurveda medicine sites 300 diseases that are treated with the leaves of the Moringa tree. Recent scientific research has proven that these humble leaves are in fact a powerhouse of nutritional value.

Moringa leaf is best known as an excellent source of nutrition and natural energy booster. This energy boost is not based on sugar, and so it is sustained. Moringa is also soothing. It helps lower blood pressure and is a sleep aid. Its detoxifying effect may come from Moringa's ability to purify water. Moringa acts as a coagulant attaching itself to harmful material and bacteria. It is believed that this process is taking place in the body as well.

While the continued use of Moringa for food and medicinal purposes by cultures in separate and distant parts of the world attest to its beneficial effects, Moringa is a recent “discovery” of modern science. The leaves of Moringa Oleifera are nature's multi-vitamin providing 7 x the vitamin C of oranges, 4 x the calcium of milk, 4 x the vitamin A of carrots, 3 x the potassium of bananas, and 2 x the protein of yogurt.

Moringa is considered to have the highest protein ratio of any plant so far identified, with the protein in Moringa being comparable in quality to that of soy. Food scientists once believed that only soy had protein comparable to meat, dairy, and eggs. Now they have added Moringa to that very short list. Some even consider Moringa protein better than soy protein as it is non-allergic. Proteins are digested into smaller units known as amino acids. Moringa contains 18 of the 20 amino acids required by the human body including all eight of the essential amino acids found in meat products. (Meat is a luxury most people around the world cannot afford). The body cannot manufacture those eight essential amino acids and must get them through the food we eat. Moringa is one of very few plants that contain all eight.

Oleifera is a Latin term meaning oil containing. The Moringa oil, known as ben oil, (due to the high concentration of behenic acid contained in the oil) is extracted from the seeds. Moringa Oleifera seeds contain 35-40% oil by weight and can yield more oil per hectare than sunflower or peanuts. The oil has more impressive attributes than olive oil. It is used in cooking and cosmetics; and because it won’t spoil and turn rancid, it is also used as a preservative and machinery lubricant, even being used as a lubricant in fine watches. What’s left after the oil has been extracted from the seeds is called seed cake, which is used as feed to increase milk production in cows.

google search you can find lots more. the root is also edible. many sites sell the leaves in capsule form as a health supplement.

I was very excited when I read about this tree and was lucky enough to get one last weekend at the local nursery (s. florida). keeping our fingers crossed. on the downside, if you live in a climate that gets winter frost, the tree must be brought indoors over the winter, or grown in a greenhouse climate. may be worth the effort though.
25 July 2013, 01:37,
RE: miracle tree / moringa oleifera
That's quite a find! A bit like bumping into a chap who's filled with infinite knowledge and ability (with a toolkit to match,) whose only wish is to help you!

The sting in the tail is the wee vision the climate requirements give me of having to haul something like an oak tree indoors during the Scottish winter!

I hope it works out for you in S Florida, I doubt that it would here! Sad

25 July 2013, 04:57,
Rush 2112, Thank you for this. I have read of this tree as I visit a number of Ayurvedic sites. Your post is excellent for you have many of its virtues all together. I think it would have been better if you had posted it on the main site, as such material tends to be missed in the forums. SD, might be asked to transfer it. With regards to growing the tree we need an Eden Project in Scotland and be able to grow many other trees and plants requiring higher temperatures. Kenneth Eames.
25 July 2013, 08:06,
Useful info, although the vitamin contents are different to those listed on Wikipedia.

Nutrients Common food Moringa Leaves
Vitamin A Carrot 8.3 mg 0.4 mg
Calcium Milk 300 mg 185 mg
Potassium Banana 358 mg 337 mg
Protein Yogurt 8 g 9.4 g
Vitamin C Orange 53 mg 52 mg
25 July 2013, 13:53,
Steve, Often the Vitamin levels will differ according to the specimens that are analysed. Soil will vary in its constituents within the soil. That is why you should gather plants over a wide area. It will often produce better results when using plants as wild food or for healing purposes. Kenneth Eames.
25 July 2013, 17:30,
(25 July 2013, 04:57)Kenneth Eames Wrote: Rush 2112, Thank you for this. I have read of this tree as I visit a number of Ayurvedic sites. Your post is excellent for you have many of its virtues all together. I think it would have been better if you had posted it on the main site, as such material tends to be missed in the forums. SD, might be asked to transfer it. With regards to growing the tree we need an Eden Project in Scotland and be able to grow many other trees and plants requiring higher temperatures. Kenneth Eames.

thank you Mr. Eames. It means a lot coming from someone with your knowledge of plants.

GG, when I was researching this plant I came across some folks in Canada that grow moringa. In the fall they trim it way back, to a small shrub (shrubbery!) then keep it indoors on a workbench/table under florescent light. then in the spring take it outside.

its very quick growing, and many of the benefits are found just by eating the dried leaves. does not have to be a huge tree to harvest leaves. its relatively light weight. the one we got was in a 7 gallon container, is about 1.5 m tall. my guess is weighed about 17 Kg.

the Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew, England are also supporting moringa research as possible help with 3rd world hunger.

this link is to a site with links to university studies of moringa:

http://www.beautyhealthandwealth.com/fil...20Hope.pdf

25 July 2013, 20:57,
Great post! many many thanks Rush2112