Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garden's In
26 July 2013, 02:59,
Garden's In
I am eating almost exclusively out of the garden now. The other day I killed a bunny in the veggie patch and everything I ate that day came from right here on my little place.

Summer squash, green beans, okra, tomatoes are all coming in.

I have 20 pints of squash in the freezer already, will soon be swamped with tomatoes and if all the butternut and acorn squash come through I will need extra storage space. I'll have to make a bin in the shed.

The hens are laying like crazy and I had to give the neighbors a dozen eggs and a meal of squash tonight.

I am about to start pickling eggs a couple of quarts at a time. They will be good when winter comes.
26 July 2013, 08:25,
RE: Garden's In
Well done, You. I'm not sure I could cope with 20 quarts of squash - what do you do with it?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
26 July 2013, 09:58,
(26 July 2013, 02:59)Mortblanc Wrote: I am eating almost exclusively out of the garden now. The other day I killed a bunny in the veggie patch and everything I ate that day came from right here on my little place.

Summer squash, green beans, okra, tomatoes are all coming in.

I have 20 pints of squash in the freezer already, will soon be swamped with tomatoes and if all the butternut and acorn squash come through I will need extra storage space. I'll have to make a bin in the shed.

The hens are laying like crazy and I had to give the neighbors a dozen eggs and a meal of squash tonight.

I am about to start pickling eggs a couple of quarts at a time. They will be good when winter comes.
Pickled Eggs mmmmmm perfect with a pint of good AleBig Grin
26 July 2013, 15:38,
(26 July 2013, 08:25)MaryN Wrote: Well done, You. I'm not sure I could cope with 20 quarts of squash - what do you do with it?

You have it for a meal once a fortnight for the next year!

In the past week I have had it baked, boiled, stir fried, sautéed, and split open long ways and roasted on the coals.

It can be frozen, canned or dried.
26 July 2013, 15:46,
(26 July 2013, 15:38)Mortblanc Wrote:
(26 July 2013, 08:25)MaryN Wrote: Well done, You. I'm not sure I could cope with 20 quarts of squash - what do you do with it?

You have it for a meal once a fortnight for the next year!

In the past week I have had it baked, boiled, stir fried, sautéed, and split open long ways and roasted on the coals.

It can be frozen, canned or dried.

we like it baked in the oven with olive oil and anchovies and streaky bacon with red onion all baked together yum yum very nice
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!