Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ticks
29 July 2013, 09:45,
RE: ticks
I don't know if Ticks are regional, because I have never seen one in East Yorkshire, nor do we get those little midges you get in the Lake District or Scotland.
29 July 2013, 20:44,
Ticks seem to like the same conditions that midges do,.. wet or damp grasslands, [or close to them in the case of midges ]

Ticks tend to climb up grass and sit there until dinner arrives, be it man of animal, its why I find most ticks around the dogs chest and neck areas

I think that they also like clean air, as you dont get them further south in the borders,.. or at least not so many
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 August 2013, 17:15,
(28 July 2013, 22:39)Highlander Wrote: I get them on me every time I skin a deer, and very often when walking the hills, I guess they make no distinction between dogs and humans....lol

We think ticks do distinguish between dogs and humans Highlander...

We very rarely get any on us if the dog is with us on our treks, but pick them up quite regularly when we are out in the wilds on our own.

The dog, however, picks the things up all the time. We joke that she's a tick-magnet.

Agreed about the anticlockwise twist to get them to dislodge cleanly, although I'd never counted the number of turns. Interesting...I'll start counting
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

6 August 2013, 17:22,
ticks are everywhere down here where there is long grass, well it is sheep country! also Deer rest up on the verges of the back roads.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 August 2013, 19:43,
Like HL, we take them off our dog practically every day. They're a problem up here for people who work in the outdoors on the estates. I know a few people with chronic Lyme disease. It affects people in different ways. My barber has her central nervous system affected. It gives her similar symptoms to chronic fatigue syndrome. I also know a ghillie who has heart problems due to it.

Ticks are the reason I tend to wimp out when wild-camping, and carry a proper tent rather than a bivvy and tarp.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
6 August 2013, 21:20,
I do admit that the dogs get far more of them than I do, but that is because they are a lot closer to the ground and we wear long trousers,.. but I have been known to get some go up the trouser leg..Smile

I never let it put me off camping out with a tarp, as long as I can protect myself from the midges then I dont worry too much about the ticks, I just make sure they cant crawl up my legs
A major part of survival is invisibility.
7 August 2013, 17:48,
Take care if you are having a pee in the countryside. They don't care what they attach themselves to !!! I know !
7 August 2013, 18:04,
(7 August 2013, 17:48)Dorset Lad Wrote: Take care if you are having a pee in the countryside. They don't care what they attach themselves to !!! I know !

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 August 2013, 18:11,
Once bitten, twice shy, I can assure you. Confused