Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
black death
27 July 2013, 19:15,
RE: black death
BB makes a good point. post shtf there may well be a dramtic increase in rodent/vermin population and with it the increase risk of exposure to all sorts of nasties. here's a brief list of diseases transmitted by rodents:

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome
Hemorrhagic Fever with Renal Syndrome
Lassa Fever
Leptospirosis
Lymphocytic Chorio-meningitis (LCM)
Omsk Hemorrhagic Fever
Plague
Rat-Bite Fever
Salmonellosis
South American Arenaviruses
Tularemia
27 July 2013, 19:22,
(27 July 2013, 19:15)Debbie_F Wrote: BB makes a good point. post shtf there may well be a dramtic increase in rodent/vermin population and with it the increase risk of exposure to all sorts of nasties. here's a brief list of diseases transmitted by rodents:

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome
Hemorrhagic Fever with Renal Syndrome
Lassa Fever
Leptospirosis
Lymphocytic Chorio-meningitis (LCM)
Omsk Hemorrhagic Fever
Plague
Rat-Bite Fever
Salmonellosis
South American Arenaviruses
Tularemia

there dirty little buggers
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
27 July 2013, 22:36,
A rabid skunk just savaged a kid in Minnesota
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ycare.html

28 July 2013, 03:03,
Does the skunk thing not need a separate thread?

Has nothing to do with plague.
28 July 2013, 23:56,
(27 July 2013, 18:59)bigpaul Wrote: not unless squirrels can swim, post SHTF there wont be any ships coming in or any planes coming here, so unless squirrels know how to make a raft their stuck the other side of the pond.

The animals in Europe could get here. Rabies is still endemic in Eastern Europe. SHTF, the Channel Tunnel is still open but not the systems in place to help prevent it happening as they have now.

Sure, we have not had rabies in Western Europe for a few years, because we practice preventative measures. With reduced interference in the wild environment, populations of animals will have more and more corridors through which to travel and different groups will more intermingle

I think there will be a bit of trading, once groups of people are settled to the point where they can produce enough to trade. This would also help to transmit plague amongst other things.

We do have lot less black rats now, and these acting as vector and host species to the disease when combined to our close proximity to them; indeed they many times had homes in what were our beds, in our thatched roofs and had the run of the place.

If animals are coming through the tunnel, so will people and the entire South of England will be over-ran. I fully expect any one or anything south of a line drawn from Liverpool to Hull will be eaten by those that can get through the tunnel or come over in a boat. The waves of people would be so great in number... well, lots of them would be coming, you know what I mean.
29 July 2013, 01:19,
The thing is --- if it spreads to humans anywhere and breaks out into the general population, then it could be anywhere else via the commuter network within 24hours. Then human or animal transmission to continue. Hopefully it does not spread from where it has been identified. It has been a long while since last time and so far has been kept at bay. It is not the only one!
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
29 July 2013, 09:37,
I don't worry about any exotic diseases, for me the worst pathogens in any shtf scenario are food poisoning, dysentry and cholera. The first two are very real possibilities and can kill just as effectively as the plague.
29 July 2013, 09:42,
I truly believe post shtf there will be a large decrease in the human population probably in the first 6 months so there will be less people for any disease to spread too, with a good food store and alternate cooking and heating methods we should all be able to go into isolation until this time period is over.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 July 2013, 11:33,
totally agree with BP on the numbers post SHTF

as soon as water and power go down then the weather, disease and starvation will significantly reduce the population numbers never mind the chaos just after an event when it initially hit home that there is no food being delivered to the shops and the heating an electric go off. If a deadly infectious wipe out a significant part of the population I do wonder what percentage of the population would be needed to be wiped out for all services to fail, even a 50% death rate would still leave a lot of people around ?.

On another point does the channel tunnel need electric pumps to stop water seeping in and to provided breathable air?
I would expect so as it's only 40M below the seabed and if the electric goes down then then the tunnels would eventual flood and it could be that once the air pumps fail nothing may be able to pass through the tunnels
29 July 2013, 11:42,
(29 July 2013, 11:33)I-K-E Wrote: totally agree with BP on the numbers post SHTF

as soon as water and power go down then the weather, disease and starvation will significantly reduce the population numbers never mind the chaos just after an event when it initially hit home that there is no food being delivered to the shops and the heating an electric go off. If a deadly infectious wipe out a significant part of the population I do wonder what percentage of the population would be needed to be wiped out for all services to fail, even a 50% death rate would still leave a lot of people around ?.

On another point does the channel tunnel need electric pumps to stop water seeping in and to provided breathable air?
I would expect so as it's only 40M below the seabed and if the electric goes down then then the tunnels would eventual flood and it could be that once the air pumps fail nothing may be able to pass through the tunnels

even the plague only wiped out about 30-40% of the population-although the population was lower at this time, with the higher population we have these days and everybody(especially in cities) living literally on top of each other I expect the die off to easily reach 50-75%. if the Chunnel floods that would be a good thing.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.