Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new TDR Bow ( Take Down Recurve)
29 July 2013, 20:55,
My new TDR Bow ( Take Down Recurve)
My new TDR bow (Take Down Recurve)
Was in Nottingham today and called in at Custom Built Archery, I told the chap I wanted a 3 piece recurve bow for back packing and I wanted it as sensibly short and light as I could get.

http://www.cbarchery.co.uk/

In the end I bought a 19 inch SF Optimo + recurve laminated wood riser (it was much lighter than the alloy ones) and being only 19 inches long it save 4 inches on the overall length of the bow. We outfitted the riser with a pair of 26 inch long limbs rated at 34pound draw @28inches.
It is basically this bow and only cost about £55 complete with string.
http://www.cbarchery.co.uk/epages/620596...OW-0132%22
When strung the actual length of the bow is 61 inches tip to tip that’s a good seven inches shorter than our previous KAP pro recurve. It’s very light and very basic and stripped down it fits easily into my ruck sack .
BUT I also spotted a really natty black nylon TDR bow shoulder bag (SF archery Axiom bag)that would hold my kit or accept being fastened to my rucksack or even fitted out as a standalone GHB.
It was only £22 and takes the bow in component form with each piece having its own pocket plus various other pockets for sights, strings, nocking points, etc and it comes with a carrying handle and adjustable shoulder strap.

http://www.cbarchery.co.uk/epages/620596...AG-0001%22
The bow carrier bag also has extra straps fitted so you can also attach an adjustable plastic arrow carrier tube to it as well and it’s total length is only about 30 inches by about 8 inches deep.
It should be easy / feasible to fasten aftermarket pouches if you wanted to make the bow the foundation of a basic survival kit.
The Barnett Banshee Quads will remain in front line service as EDC PDWs but this bow will be added to the GHB and vehicle kits and both bows will digest the arrows I already have.

30 July 2013, 00:16,
RE: My new TDR Bow ( Take Down Recurve)
Sounds very interesting. I'd like a TDR for recce.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 July 2013, 09:19,
(30 July 2013, 00:16)Skean Dhude Wrote: Sounds very interesting. I'd like a TDR for recce.

Its got some potential for recce but is still limited because of its length (60 inchs) compared with compounds ( 39 inches or less) but its certainly more portable in its take down form than a one piece bow.

Its certainly suitable for hunting (US) now or after TSHTF (UK) and its definately good for static defence, I suppose it could be used for recce duty at a push but we would need to find a way of cammoing the limbs cos they are white. I'm sure I have seen limb protector sox someplace and I guess they could be used to subdue the colours.

But having a very capable and powerful bow permenantly attached to ones BOB / GHB is just something not to be ignored. The longest bit is only 26" long and with practice the bow can be assembled and strung in about 3 minutes, not ideal but better than nothing of course.

Compounds still have the massive advantage on convenience and compactness but lose out on the field maintenance issues which means my banshees will still be the home and vehicle tool of choice.

But the TDR type bows from £55 to £150 and in very useful power ranges up 45 lb just cannot be ignored they are ideal for hunting after TSHTF.

30 July 2013, 10:29,
I have the same one NR....Smile

good bow ..however i happened to come along a smaller more compact steel recurve lately ......

dressed up with some spandex camo sleeves and such its quite a bow...

now to make some broadheads outta knapped budweiser bottles...Rolleyes

A
30 July 2013, 10:31,
Please tell us about the compact steel recurve ?

30 July 2013, 10:40,
Hi NR ..

will try to get some pics up in a while ...Smile

A
30 July 2013, 11:11,
Izzit that american steel survival bow that folds down and uses the three piece screw togther arrows?

30 July 2013, 11:16,
Nice buy NR. Good to see you coming away from the 'darkside' as we call compound archers Big Grin
30 July 2013, 11:26, (This post was last modified: 30 July 2013, 11:29 by NorthernRaider.)
(30 July 2013, 11:16)MCavity Wrote: Nice buy NR. Good to see you coming away from the 'darkside' as we call compound archers Big Grin

I already had a recurve TDR but TBH I forgot about it cos its so bloody long at 68 inches which made it useless for home sec or vehicle use thats why we bought the compounds, but for long range patroling / back packing AFTER TSHTF when you no longer can send the compound back to the shop for repair the simpler ( but longer) TDRs dominate.

I also handled the Korean Horse bow which is only 48 inches tip to tip but it felt so delicate in my big mits !!!

Hey Mc Cavity have you any idea when you try talking to many club archers they constantly poo poo you if you dont conform to their viewpoint, almost every question I asked on a few archery forums end up with them telling me I dont know anything and I should join a club and only shoot the way they coose to????

Anyone seen any Spandex cammo limb covers for sale ??

30 July 2013, 12:33,
I know what you mean NR. The trouble I have asking experienced archers is that you never seem to get a straight answer. It's partly due to your bow set up being so bespoke to you.
Example I was at a tournament on Sunday and asked somone about thier carbon fibre arrows and if I should invest in some to help my score (At the moment i'm using Easton 1916 aluminium arrows).
After 10 minutes or so (no exaggeration) I gleamed the facts were Carbons are lighter so my point on range would increase and beed to be rediscovered and practiced. 10 mins of waffing for that!!
I guess its an 'everyones an expert kinda thing', so I try to take what I can thats relevent.

Just throwing it out there what do you think about an SUK archery meet to go over skills etc?
If you (or anyone) can get permission from a landowner I'd be happy to pop up and shoot with you guys. A day together would be worth 100's of posts.